Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 gen 3 lifter tick

Jeemes

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 wk caprice ls1 gen 3
Have just bought a ls1 gen 3 with 240k on the clock. Has a small tick that doesn't seem to go away. Is it possible the shitty aftermarket headers the previous owner put on? Or is it lifter tick? I want to service it first and change the oil, what oil do you recommend?

I heard that they need a flogging every now and again so the top end doesn't get too sticky. Is there truth to this? A decent flogging once in a while will help lifter noise?

Thanks for all advice, james

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Nulon 5-30 or 10-30 is my choice of oil, that or Penrite HPR. Both full-synth.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
IMHO....
1). 95% of LS1's tick, they are known for it.
2). Flogging every now and again... no, it's not a Diesel. Go for a long/long drive is preferred, when almost empty fill it with some BP or vPower 95/98RON fuel +Injector clean.
3). If the headers are cracked/leaking you will hear it mostly from underneath the vehicle, not from the engine bay or on top
4). Oil... Flame suit on... an LS1 with 240000km on it and maybe not knowing the service history, I would say would say 10w40 or even 10w50 Full-Synthetic +Filter.

P.S on 4). @ that mileage your motor will have some wear and tear, especially if service history in unknown and may be in need of a rebuild or replace.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Majority of ls engines will tick over 200k mark especially with factory lifters...it's expected & the higher the mileage like yours so do oil leaks like rear main & timing cover seal,soft valve springs & waterpumps.

Auto probably had atleast one rebuild or will get one eventually especially if do usual otr/exhaust/tune/gears

They're getting old,well used & being v8 it's copped more than enough floggings

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Penrite hpr10 and add some nulon lifter free mate, it’s good stuff