Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into older commodores

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
as the title suggests, just wondering if anyone has any info on ls1's being dropped into early model commodores, as i'm looking at this as an option for my vk, and YES I DO KNOW U NEED TO CHANGE DRIVELINE ETC, mainly want info on dropping the motor in, thanks in advance any info and help greatly appreciated.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
Castlemaine Rod Shop do a mounting kit for this conversion.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
It isnt a big issue dropping the LS1 its all the other little things like the starter motor needs to be relocated from the drivers side to the passengers side, exhaust is a little tight.
If you want to run other extras like power steering, airconditioning etc they will all take a little effort.

I would check out CRS kits before Rod Hatfield sold the company their stuff was first class, I havent bought off them since (havent needed anything)doubt the quality or service would have changed though.

But like any engine conversion it will take a little bit of thinking ok well allot of thinking but it can be done.

cheers
Scott

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
The CRS kit is crap, you still need to change a lot of stuff around. Also you would need about $20000 to get it to the point your happy with.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
ive been told it needs about 5 grand worth of parts 2 fit it in (i think that was including it being installed)

i'd love 2 do it 2 my car, but i dont think its worth it

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
vkberlina said:
for the money it would cost build an efi 5L conversion and spending money building a 383 stroker sounds cheaper & easier :)

cheers
Scott

and faster :D

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeah, for what i'm looking at, this seems to be the way, i'm a mechanic so will be doing alot of the work myself, plus its a project over the next 18months, so time is on my side, and so far, been told roughly around that 5-10k mark as there a cheapish motor to buy now, and the efi5ltr would cost around the 4-6k mark, plus with the power and machining needed, the ls1 doesn't need any of that, just swapping a few things around, but i'm finding out whats needed and estimates, etc, so will no in the next couple of weeks, but is looking good at the moment.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
A ls1 motor and gearbox is about 8 grand unless you can find a better deal