Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into vk

vk ls1 proj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
hi lads,

just joined up to try get some help with my project. Im putting a Ls1 int a Vk calais Iv got a vn k-frame with tuff mounts and a vn crossmember for the 4l60e gearbox and its all fitted up so far. does anyone know much about the extractor side of things, some say a mini starter will do others say starter needs to be relocated to the other side, I also want to run power steer but things will be pretty tight down that side, Is it possable to use power steer with this conversion?

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
Don't think you will be able to run power steering without movig the starter motor to the other side. If you are using a vn kframe just use a vl manual steering rack and mini starter and you should get a custom st of extractors down there. Mine is turbo nd the crossover is at the front so nothing runs down past it. I have a mini starter and vl manual rack and there is no clearance issue.

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
nar mate ichopped all my loom out and i am using a ls1 standalone harness from a dude down south. and custom wiring all the windows and lights and all other electrics i wont have all the calais **** it come with. No heat No ac No boot release no interoir lights all the sort of **** i have deleted only running the bare minimum for rego

You could just run basically a single wire into a switch either that you flick by hand or one like in the doors that needs to be pushed in to work and just drag the wire to the light in the roof and earth the other side and you have a light. boot release should be just as easy as well. Even the power windows and such. most things will either have a relay of some sort and a switch. and auto elec could do it quick.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

h8dvk8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 304 vs 6 bangger on gas vs stato
If u use a manual steering rack u won't need the relocation kit

vh sle !!!!!

262MANTER
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VB commodore
i have my ls1 fitted and running in my vh sle, used castle auto engine mounts, trans crossmember, headers, fitted manual steer rack and used
castle auto starter relocation. I used the 4l60e and didnt need any modding or tunnel bashing may need to bash a small spot near shifter linkage but thats all.
for wiring got the engine harness converted to standalone and works a treat, fitted a vn twin pump fuel tank replaced the standard internal lift pump and fitted walbro
500hp ext pump running to a corvette fuel filter with built in pressure reg.

lorry1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Station Wagon
I have a LS1 out of a VZ SS with a T56 6 speed gearbox. I used a VN V6 cross member and engine mounts with custom made engine conversion brackets ($180). I used a VN SS power steering rack with the factory column and VL V8 steering universal.
I also made a left hand start motor conversion ($900) that is a straight bolt on item with only a small hole cut in the bell housing to allow the pinion to throw out and mesh with the flywheel or flex plate. Better design as you don't have to space everything out like in other kits. I made jigs so everything can be duplicated.
It worked out cheaper and better in my opinion than the CAE conversion. Headers are best to be customer made as the CAE and PaceMaker headers still need modification and a local guy made tuned length headers cheaper anyway.
The wiring loom had all the unnecessary wires removed and mafless tune ($885) and The Race Technology dash will plug into the OBD2 port and should read off the factory sensors when purchased.
I also made an adaptor bracket for the VT booster and master cylinder conversion which is a straight bolt in item that gets rid of the long pedal travel in the VT big brake conversions.
I've created an album under my profile of my VK LS1 build.