Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 OR Supercharged 6

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
Hi peeps,

I am thinking of purchasing a VX in the near future. I just want peoples opinions on which they prefer. SS LS1 or Supercharged 6?

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
VX Calais

Hey i just picked up a 2002 vx calais for $21000. its a supercharged v6 with 36000 kays on it. goes like a absolute dream couldnt be happier its shanghai red with cream leather interior.

cheers

cuckoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 twin Turbo
believe me go for the 6 then go see F.I.T mine is a missile
Cuckoo:yeah:

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
cuckoo said:
believe me go for the 6 then go see F.I.T mine is a missile
How many Kw you pushin'? And have you been down the blacktop dyno?

I'd go for the V8, purely because there's more you can do...

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
clixanup said:
How many Kw you pushin'? And have you been down the blacktop dyno?

I'd go for the V8, purely because there's more you can do...
Not entirely true.. The S/C 6 has a lot of bolt on stuff you can buy for it.. You can turn the pissy 6PSI boost into a mean machine.. An S/C 6 with quite a bit done to it can easily whoop an LS1..

Only problem is that you need to spend a lot..

From what I understand from my friend about the LS1, it's easy to get quick power gains.. My mate changed the exhaust, extractors and got a tune.. He says it like a different car..

Dr. Bob would know a lot more about LS1 tuning and so on..

Both are bloody good cars..

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Shounak said:
Not entirely true.. The S/C 6 has a lot of bolt on stuff you can buy for it..
Not as much as an LS1. The LS1 was used worldwide. Numbers sold were in the 100s of millions. As a result of millions of blokes mucking around with them, there are thousands of different camshafts you can buy. Try buying a cam for an S/C V6. Choice is pretty limited. Turbo kits, superchargers, heads, intakes - you can buy all of these for the LS1 and more.
Shounak said:
You can turn the pissy 6PSI boost into a mean machine.. An S/C 6 with quite a bit done to it can easily whoop an LS1..
That's only true if the LS1 is stock. With $1,500 you can get 300fwkw out of an LS1. How much would you need to spend to get that with the V6? The V8 will always make more power with the same mods.
Shounak said:
From what I understand from my friend about the LS1, it's easy to get quick power gains..
Someone once said, "You can get 100 more hp out of an LS1 by looking at it cross-eyed." It is extremely easy to extract power from these engines.
Shounak said:
Both are bloody good cars..
True. You're not going to be sorry either way.

Last edited:

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
Cheers Fellas,

LS1 sounds like the go:w00t:

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
ooohhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOO...

Another 6vs 8 debate...........:whistling

I own an L67 (supercharged 6) and loved it!!!!!

I say passes tense (loved) coz I popped a piston and am now doing a massive turbo conversion.

Alot of you may already know the car, but for those that don't I made an intercooler setup for it and made extractors and the exhaust. Then got it tuned. Considering the lack of mods internally it was a right rocket!!!

I had thought of going the Ls1 route but I was a bit hesitant as the earlier models did have oil problems etc. They are piss easy to get good grunt out of them but I just got deturred.

VX LS1 might be alright and I know a heap of guys with themand absolutely LOVE em!!!!!! I also know alot of guys with L67s and LOVE em... It's basicly a FORD / HOLDEN thing. You either love one or the other...

Am I allowed to say the F word in here.... hahahahah

Best of luck with your choice!

Tark

IanG

Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Wagon
If the super charger is not a factory unit it might be a pain in the arse when it comes to insuring it. Does anyone know the difference in rego fees? You should just research the cost of performance mods to make the power you want. Find some one who's engine you'd be happy with and copy it.