Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 sedan diff gearing ratio

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep.

Factory TCC settings are very soft and with age and wear and tear the converter slips until one day it no longer locks. On my mates car fixing the lockup brought cruise down by about 150 rpm.

Tims30

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Yes, your correct vr304, but that's only if you have a problem with your torque converter. For any other car that runs normal and is in good mechanical health, then, there still is no way to change the revs of a car, (any "standard" car) by turning. Only by changing diff ratio or transmission gears (auto or manual). What your saying is like having a manual and slightly pressing the clutch which gives you slippage, once you release the clutch, then it locks up and obviously the revs drop. Same thing with a f..ked up stall converter. No car that is in good mechanical condition can have the revs changed by tuning. You see, I'm a mechanic and I have a transmission guy here at my shop and totally agrees with me. torque converter lock up kit are available. With the press of a button, you could lock your converter manually (before the factory setting), but that's another story in itself. Usually most converters will lock around 80 km/ph, but can happen earlier or later depending on the input sensors of engine speed, throttle position, vehicles speed, diff ratio, 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl etc. etc. a lot of variables.

johno12369

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 5.7 SS Commodore
Hey all, Got vt/vx sedan, fresh rebuilt ls1, (fresh strong auto and shift kitted) ramjet otr, mafless tune, cam 224-228 112lsa, 918 springs, comp rods, 1:8 yt r/r, chain, oil pump ect, hand port heads (mild-mod) not cnc, catback, pacemaker Headers n ballistic cats (coming now) ,,,, i want to change my diff gearing from standard, was thinking might be cheapest option to look for maybe a diff out of 6sp man ute from a wreckers or something?
I have done this on small budget... i realise may not be best setup to suit all liking.. goin for retune once headers n cats on.
When i do 100-110kph the car seems to really be at a sorta flat spot in revs, (just under 2000 rpm) this is when im cruising along, its like a flat spot just before the cam comes into operating range but like all cars it seems to have its "sweet spot" when it comes to revs and speed on the hwy like a happy cruisin speed lol, and when i do say 120-125 its seems much happier ;p crispier throttle response ect, the rpm's are a little over 2000rpm when im doing that speed rather then just under 2000rpm.

I want do be doing those revs that i do now when i do 120-125 kph but with different diff gearing to reduce my speed down to say around 100-110kph.

So really what im asking if anyone knows is what diff ratio am i after ?

Like a factory man ute lsd? or factory sedan manual lsd? atm i have the "factory auto diff". thinks its 3:46 or something lol i dont have a clue.

Im not after a drag ratio lol, Its my everyday driver hehe,, just a small difference in ratio to what i have now so the car cruises at a better revs for me, i think fuel would prob be better off as its cruising with less effort at that speed or wouldnt be much different.. although i realise the principal of usin higher ratios reduces your overall top speed which would/could result in more fuel use lol, but im not after 4:11's lol

Also is changing the diff ratio something that requires a tune touch up for performance reasons? (apart from speed recalibration)
As headers and cats will be goin on soon and getting tune tweaked but wondering if i should hold out for diff gears or just put new diff ratio
down the track... could a tech2 be used to recalibrate speed?
If there is a whole thread already on this sorry had no time to search through the jargon.
Thanks in advance anyone who offers advice/opinion/help ect thanks very much....

johno12369

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all, Got vt/vx sedan, fresh rebuilt ls1, (fresh strong auto and shift kitted) ramjet otr, mafless tune, cam 224-228 112lsa, 918 springs, comp rods, 1:8 yt r/r, chain, oil pump ect, hand port heads (mild-mod) not cnc, catback, pacemaker Headers n ballistic cats (coming now) ,,,, i want to change my diff gearing from standard, was thinking might be cheapest option to look for maybe a diff out of 6sp man ute from a wreckers or something?
I have done this on small budget... i realise may not be best setup to suit all liking.. goin for retune once headers n cats on.
When i do 100-110kph the car seems to really be at a sorta flat spot in revs, (just under 2000 rpm) this is when im cruising along, its like a flat spot just before the cam comes into operating range but like all cars it seems to have its "sweet spot" when it comes to revs and speed on the hwy like a happy cruisin speed lol, and when i do say 120-125 its seems much happier ;p crispier throttle response ect, the rpm's are a little over 2000rpm when im doing that speed rather then just under 2000rpm.

I want do be doing those revs that i do now when i do 120-125 kph but with different diff gearing to reduce my speed down to say around 100-110kph.

So really what im asking if anyone knows is what diff ratio am i after ?

Like a factory man ute lsd? or factory sedan manual lsd? atm i have the "factory auto diff". thinks its 3:46 or something lol i dont have a clue.

Im not after a drag ratio lol, Its my everyday driver hehe,, just a small difference in ratio to what i have now so the car cruises at a better revs for me, i think fuel would prob be better off as its cruising with less effort at that speed or wouldnt be much different.. although i realise the principal of usin higher ratios reduces your overall top speed which would/could result in more fuel use lol, but im not after 4:11's lol

Also is changing the diff ratio something that requires a tune touch up for performance reasons? (apart from speed recalibration)
As headers and cats will be goin on soon and getting tune tweaked but wondering if i should hold out for diff gears or just put new diff ratio
down the track... could a tech2 be used to recalibrate speed?
If there is a whole thread already on this sorry had no time to search through the jargon.
Thanks in advance anyone who offers advice/opinion/help ect thanks very much....

I fitted 4 cylinder 4.11s out of Nissan pinata in the housing in my old vt 5.7 .gave them a real hard time for 13 weeks b4 loosing some teeth n replacing.. but my fuel economy was awesome.. killed me putting **** gears back n obviously cost more to run again...

johno12369

Reaction score
Members Ride
it also made 6th gear a pulling fear instead of like a overdrive gear