Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] LS1 Vapour injection conversion results

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
*scratches his head*
ummm... I don't like those dyno figures. Does anybody else think they're way too low for an LS1 considering stock FW is 260KW? (roughly 200 RWKW by most conversions).

"The LS1 was rated at 350 hp (260 kW) and 365 lbf·ft (495 N·m) since 2001 (LS6 Intake)"

Although, given that all dyno KW/HP figures are entirely mathematical as it can't actually be measured, they use formulaes based on the torque measured to come up with a number. The stock numbers used 495Nm at 5000rpm to get 260KW at the flywheel.

So allowing for around 30% loss through the drivetrain (as commonly suggested) the dyno torque should be reading around 380Nm at 5000rpm.

Anyway, looking forward to reading more fuel usage numbers now that you've had the retune. I'm seriously considering a liquid LPG system when costs of both installs and LPG return to more reasonable levels.

EDIT: actually, considering earlier LS1's were rated at 240 odd KW at the flywheel I guess 180rwkw is reasonably close to "stock".... MAFless will boost that sucker though ;) lol

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
*scratches his head*
ummm... I don't like those dyno figures. Does anybody else think they're way too low for an LS1 considering stock FW is 260KW? (roughly 200 RWKW by most conversions).

"The LS1 was rated at 350 hp (260 kW) and 365 lbf·ft (495 N·m) since 2001 (LS6 Intake)"

Although, given that all dyno KW/HP figures are entirely mathematical as it can't actually be measured, they use formulaes based on the torque measured to come up with a number. The stock numbers used 495Nm at 5000rpm to get 260KW at the flywheel.

So allowing for around 30% loss through the drivetrain (as commonly suggested) the dyno torque should be reading around 380Nm at 5000rpm.

Anyway, looking forward to reading more fuel usage numbers now that you've had the retune. I'm seriously considering a liquid LPG system when costs of both installs and LPG return to more reasonable levels.

EDIT: actually, considering earlier LS1's were rated at 240 odd KW at the flywheel I guess 180rwkw is reasonably close to "stock".... MAFless will boost that sucker though ;) lol

Your not really wrong with the power figures. Although my LS1 is the first version, 225kw at engine. So 180rwkw is about right.

Since the tune I have been getting consistently low 13 L per 100kms

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
13L/100kms on gas? That's comparable to ULP. Sounds good.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
That is mostly highway driving with a little town. Power is better too, feels the same as ulp.
Uses only a little more then petrol, 1 to 2 l/100 more, which is pretty awesome, had a bloke in a 4L falcon on LPG ask what I get to a tank, was amazed I get 300kms out of 40L, he gets the same Kay's out of 85L.

Galixia

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 CBR1000RR & G6E Turbo
I have a VT SS with a LS2 in it and im running duel fuel. my lpg setup is a KME Gold LPG Vapour Direct Injection System with a 90L tank in the boot above the rear axle so still have my spare as well. My current setup is for fuel economy so on LPG last dyno i only got 276rwkw (can obviously re tune the gas to get way more out of it) but got 294rwkw on petrol. i recently drove from Toowoomba to Melb and it cost me about $130. its setup so it always starts and warms up on petrol then switches over to lpg when engine has reached 65 degrees. i have two ecus running as well one for each fuel system.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thought i'd update this.
Got a new single 3 inch cat back, seemed to improve torque on LPG. Decided on a retune of the PCM, mail order maffless tune (I know its not comparable to a dyno tune but it works) Optimised for LPG injection, WAYYY more power on LPG and Petrol, gearbox is quicker, feels like how it should have in the first place.

And economy has increased, I have moved to an area that is very hilly and i'm still averaging 10.4 L per 100km on LPG! on cruise on the hwy it has dropped down to 8.6!

It is an awesome daily driver now :)