Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls2 tune with or without OTRCIA question

Trevhead62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute. 2011.
I have a question on tuning of an LS2 V8 auto in a 2006 VE HSV GTS. it recently had a mild cam and, against my better judgement, a otrcai was fitted with a mafless dyno tune. Since the work was done, the ESC off warning light comes on and stays on regardless of the switch on the console. After reading through a lot of threads on the topic of stability control issues, I suspect poor tuning around the air intake could be the problem. i still have the standard air intake hardware including the MAF sensor. If I was to remove the CIA and replace it with the original setup, would the ECU respond to it and make the necessary adjustments or would it have to be re-tuned to make a difference to the ESC problem?
i know it a pretty far out there question without error codes and it could be completely unrelated to the recent work done but I thought it'd be worth a try.
Any help much appreciated.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Pretty sure you can opt to disable the ESC permanently when tuning the VE.. I was asked if i wanted it disabled when i had mine tuned, i declined and my ESC still works fine with the OTR and mafless tune.
Have you spoken to your tuner?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Sounds like a dodgy tune job, also tunes are so over rated you should just get the VCM OTR with the MAF sensor. I got the MAFless tune and it gave me just 18rwhp extra which is hardly worth the $1000 bucks. If I was you I would buy the VCM MAF adapter for your OTR and go back and get them to reflash the original factory tune back in. What state are you in, if your in WA go to Active Automotive Performance Centre they do tunes for just about anybody including HSV dealerships.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Sounds like a dodgy tune job, also tunes are so over rated you should just get the VCM OTR with the MAF sensor. I got the MAFless tune and it gave me just 18rwhp extra which is hardly worth the $1000 bucks. If I was you I would buy the VCM MAF adapter for your OTR and go back and get them to reflash the original factory tune back in. What state are you in, if your in WA go to Active Automotive Performance Centre they do tunes for just about anybody including HSV dealerships.

You think tunes are overrated? What's the point of installing performance mods and not wanting to get the best out of them??? Car would be running lean and most likely be running like poo with just an otr and no tune..

Trevhead62

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it gonna need a re-tune whether I put the MAF back in or not. I'm not real happy with the mob who did the work. The cam and lifters sound good but I reckon the tune they did afterwards should have been better. The dyno report, for what its worth, showed 253 RWKW. On the low side me thinks. There's a few other reasons I don't wanna take it back ... I dont want to get into that here.
Also, I'd rather not have its guts thrashed out on a dyno again as my tranny is a ticking time bomb at the moment. It was fine before they played with it.
Any reccommendations of a tuner in the western subs of Melb?
Will it be ok to drive with the MAF refitted, maybe not plugged in, so I can drive it to some place for a retune??

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily

You think tunes are overrated? What's the point of installing performance mods and not wanting to get the best out of them??? Car would be running lean and most likely be running like poo with just an otr and no tune..

And I'll add that he's got a cam installed going back to the factory tune would cause more trouble

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it gonna need a re-tune whether I put the MAF back in or not. I'm not real happy with the mob who did the work. The cam and lifters sound good but I reckon the tune they did afterwards should have been better. The dyno report, for what its worth, showed 253 RWKW. On the low side me thinks. There's a few other reasons I don't wanna take it back ... I dont want to get into that here.
Also, I'd rather not have its guts thrashed out on a dyno again as my tranny is a ticking time bomb at the moment. It was fine before they played with it.
Any reccommendations of a tuner in the western subs of Melb?
Will it be ok to drive with the MAF refitted, maybe not plugged in, so I can drive it to some place for a retune??

For starters don't get caught up in dyno figures. There are a dozen very good tuners in Melbourne and if I was you I would definitely get a second opinion, reverting back to a maf tune would in my eyes be worthless as it just needs a few gremlins soughted out

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom

Your right there.
Suggesting flashing the stock tune back in when you have an OTR induction system is really bad.
I fitted my OTR before the tune and the thing ran like a pig, I had to swap back to the stock intake until i got a new tune.

Trevhead62

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey thanks guys. I'll make some enquiries and get the thing tuned again with the CAI in place by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm hoping it can be tuned good enough on the floor ( without dyno) and hopefully sort out the annoying ESC problem which I suspect is related.
Thanks again for your input. much appreciated.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline

No, they run fine as long as you use the existing MAF sensor, your cars fuel management system detected the increase of airflow through them little wires in the pipe and adjusts fuel automatically, I does take around 500 km or driving for it to adjust. VCM sell a OTR which retains the MAF, I had one and it was fine, I was stupid enough to spend the $1000 for an extra 18 rwhp.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
What OTR did you use, was it one that retained the MAF sensor? Flashing the manufactures original tune will do no harm if you use the MAF sensor, if you don't all that will happen is you will get a Check Engine Fault and won't self adjust for the increase airflow