Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Cam and valvetrain upgrade

Maloo 176

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 maloo
Hey there all,

Im looking forward to do a valvetrain job at the E3 Maloo manual transmission.

What parts would you Install? There are so manny things to think about.

I wan't the highest possible streetable power. And i wan't it last forever.

Is a 0.640 lift 230/240 112 lsa streetable?

Titan retainer?

Gm racing lifter or better?

Roller Rocker / shaft mount / Yellaterra?

New valves, ferren?

How much lifter preload is good? I read about 1 to 3mm.... What is better, more or less preload?

When i have to take off the heads, i will port them. New questions?

How much should i mill the heads for compression ratio 11.5:1?
I think about 0,5mm and a thinner head gaskets

We use 100 octane fuel most time. Sometimes we only get 98octane. But then we go carefully...

I read something about the 5 angle cut at the intake valve seats. 3 Angel cut is 30⁰; 45⁰; and 70⁰ what angels are used at 5 angle cut?

What should i do at the exaust valve seats?

What else do i have to do.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
All this seems like you probably should take your engine to an engine shop that specializes in upgraded engines.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What is your budget? Because that cam is okay for the street, but more stroke would tame it down a little.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also if you want to maximise horsepower, probably ditch the stock heads and get some aftermarket ones CNC ported.

I can suggest a list of components, but I need to know what budget.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Also if you want to maximise horsepower, probably ditch the stock heads and get some aftermarket ones CNC ported.

I can suggest a list of components, but I need to know what budget.

You do realise they're in Germany, so you need to convert from Aus bucks to German bucks

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You do realise they're in Germany, so you need to convert from Aus bucks to German bucks
Yes I can see that, I would likely do the conversion to USA dollars. I don't know what the suppliers can get over in Germany, but they do have race engine shops that can work with the parts coming from the USA. I don't know if they have local guys doing LS parts, I sort of doubt it as the LS was never sold in Germany as far as I'm aware, I might be wrong, but I doubt the Camaro meets euro 6.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hey there all,

Im looking forward to do a valvetrain job at the E3 Maloo manual transmission.

What parts would you Install? There are so manny things to think about.

I wan't the highest possible streetable power. And i wan't it last forever.

Is a 0.640 lift 230/240 112 lsa streetable?

Titan retainer?

Gm racing lifter or better?

Roller Rocker / shaft mount / Yellaterra?

New valves, ferren?

How much lifter preload is good? I read about 1 to 3mm.... What is better, more or less preload?

When i have to take off the heads, i will port them. New questions?

How much should i mill the heads for compression ratio 11.5:1?
I think about 0,5mm and a thinner head gaskets

We use 100 octane fuel most time. Sometimes we only get 98octane. But then we go carefully...

I read something about the 5 angle cut at the intake valve seats. 3 Angel cut is 30⁰; 45⁰; and 70⁰ what angels are used at 5 angle cut?

What should i do at the exaust valve seats?

What else do i have to do.

Here’s a bit of info on upgrading the LS3. Regarding the valve train, from what I’ve read previously it’s best not to go over 0.6 lift for best reliability as higher lift puts a lot more pressure on the relevant components in the valve train.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...-expert-advice-ls3-mods-maximize-performance/

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Here’s a bit of info on upgrading the LS3. Regarding the valve train, from what I’ve read previously it’s best not to go over 0.6 lift for best reliability as higher lift puts a lot more pressure on the relevant components in the valve train.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...-expert-advice-ls3-mods-maximize-performance/

That all depends on what components you use, he seems to want to change it all out so .6" plus lift will likely not be an issue.

Edit: also this is why budget becomes very important, because I can recommend lifters from $1,000-$3,500. The $3,500 lifters could be bushed short travel over sized lifters requiring the block to be lifter bore bushed, even keyway bushed which is even more expensive. Budget is a massive consideration. Say you went keyway bushed roller lifters it would be near 4k for the lifter set, then like 1.5k for the lifter bore work, that is US prices too.

Last edited:

Maloo 176

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 maloo
Thanks for all your reply...

On all cylinders i know allready...

All the work i will do on my own.

There are to many different parts ...

For boring eu cars dohc or ohc you buy a cam, maybe new springs and thats it. No different lift no different lifters or rollers ...

Thats new for me...

The budget.... The lowest possible but so much that it is durable for next 10000km

For exaple: rockers, trunion kit ( i think waste of money) Roller Rockers ( better? Why?) Shaft mount (verry good / strong i think) btr shaft mount Kit (verry good price looks good, but stock rockers no Roller) t&d shaft mount roller... ( Verry expendive worth it?) Yellaterra (best price roller and shaft mount)

Thats new for me and i have zero LS tuning parts experience but i would buy the yellaterra (700au$) but If you tell me take t&d (1800us$) cause they run forever, i will take t&d

Lifter same problem: single lifter or the connectet one's

Maloo 176

Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 maloo
There are enough different cam's available... I can Take .59x lift or 6.10...

Lois told me to look for crow cam's they have to manny options....