Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 cold start Slap is driving me crazy!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I think this point made by Skylarking is pretty relevant. I am pretty new to the forum and only have 13000 km on my car. So I am no expert. When you are on a forum we read all the faults people have.

Imagine this. How many posts would there be of owners of the VF LS3 the do not have problems. I am sure there would be many more stories of "good" no problem engines. Our impression of the LS3 may then change.

From my memory of owning older cars many years ago as a teenager, was that low oil would produce tappet noise until oil pressure built up. But I suppose that was my old LC 161 engine and my LJ 202 engine. :)

Imagine the number of non cluey average owners who never notice this or were told by the dealer it's fine...We dont hear from them either :)

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
Imagine the number of non cluey average owners who never notice this or were told by the dealer it's fine...We dont hear from them either :)

that is a good point
Bloody hell maybe that’s me

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
corp cuts corners (costs) due to lax gov regulations.

deja vu

David LS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
good to know - thank you. 5 mins seems like a very long time for it to be noisey. Mine is noisey for only up to 45-1 min max. Ive got 10x 5L 304's that do not make a peep on cold start even after not running for months. Not sure why the LS took such a drastic step backwards in this regard
The issues with the LS3 rattle on cold start are caused by the viscosity of the oil and the fine tolerances in the neem tappets. The lifters in my VF II Redline have been replaced three times but the noise just reappears this time after 5,000k's. I've written to Holden seeking a new engine.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@David LS3, let us know how you progress with your request for a new engine from Holden.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
all my motors (two LS1's and an L77) have made some kind of noise tick tick tick whatever, it's a characteristic of something that isn't a finely tuned performance machine but more akin to a muscle car. The price reflects this!

That said, get a professional opinion from someone who knows what the noises are don't just hear a noise and assume "piston slap" the amount of times I have heard piston slap to describe every noise under the sun out of a GM motor makes my head spin.

So yes, stop tooling about and googling, reading forums and making up theories and get an opinion from a professional - then a second one to make sure the first guy isn't making stuff up. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
all my motors (two LS1's and an L77) have made some kind of noise tick tick tick whatever, it's a characteristic of something that isn't a finely tuned performance machine but more akin to a muscle car. The price reflects this!

That said, get a professional opinion from someone who knows what the noises are don't just hear a noise and assume "piston slap" the amount of times I have heard piston slap to describe every noise under the sun out of a GM motor makes my head spin.

So yes, stop tooling about and googling, reading forums and making up theories and get an opinion from a professional - then a second one to make sure the first guy isn't making stuff up. :)
Professional advice can be unhelpful... With one car (not a Holden), I had dealer professionals and even manufacturer‘s experts listen to an obvious sound. I have no issue in hearing yet these experts clowns couldn‘t hear anything... It seems the only qualification they needed to be classified as experts by their employers was some form of industrial deafness and the ability to look like they are straining to hear something... Unsurprisingly, when you ask them a question, they’d say “what”... :eek:

On a more serious note, Holden sell their V8’s as performance machines, not as cheap disposable 50’s styled muscle car clunker... In the case of my circa $70k Motorsport, it was advertised to meet GM level 3 track certification, as was the Director which was the performance luxury side of the same coin. So when buying, one has a more defined may be more refined expectation than what the 50’s offered...

When purchasing such a vehicle, my expectation was that the engineering and manufacture was well sorted and thus the product itself was well sorted... There was nothing to dissuade me from such a reasonable expectation. Had Holden made it known (through printed media, tv, radio adverts) that their LS3’s were 50’s muscle car throwbacks (and thus sounded like a bucket of bolts when starting) or the selling dealer made similar representations, then it would be unreasonable for the buyer (me) to have a more modern and refined expectation of the LS3.

But there was never such representations made so it would be unreasonable for the seller and/or the manufacturer to now say that it’s acceptable for the LS3 to sound like a bucket of bolts when cold. So the assumption in law must be that their product (LS3 performance vehicle) is as refined as other similar priced vehicles. And as I haven’t heard a Ford V8 with such lifter and piston noise issues, Holden has even less legs to stand on (legally speaking)...

I guess this is all highlighted by a case in New Zealand where a noisy engine was found to be unacceptable and that’s why the seller was forced to refund purchase price to the owner.

A rattling bucket of bolts the LS3 should not be... and down under, all dealer mechanics MUST be required to pass a hearing test before they go out for a test drive with the customer to assess some noise problem :p

Luckily I have no such issues yet... but the car has done less that 10,000kms so is still a baby.... there is time for the engine to age i to it’s 50’s in the next couple of tens of thousands of kms from what’s been posted :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
When you hear the same rattly noise everyday it becomes "normal"....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride