Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 cold start Slap is driving me crazy!

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
obviously this is a common issue. I bought my ute with 31,000kms and now the slap is on since about 38,000. It's def not getting any better or even staying constant, it seems to be getting worse kinda quickly. The death rattle lasts only a few seconds but then it's got that faint slap for sometimes as long as 30-45 seconds. I've tried penrite 5/30 then a semi synth 10/40, no change so bunged some 5/30 castrol back in it and no change. I havent owned one of these past 30,000 kms but I def could hear it coming on in the previous cars - i had all 3 up until about 28,000kms

any class actions or what not? anyone having a win with a particular oil? it's out of warranty but they did replace the balancer while it was out 10 months of warranty not that long ago. cheers guys

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If it just started at 38 000km and lasts for under a minute I am not convinced it's piston slap. Also, this generally does not get worse very quickly as you described. It could be something else...
Can you hear it on idle ?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'm with Ron and wouldn't be assuming it's piston slap. If it was and only lasted 45 seconds, sweet, but you say there is also a "death rattle' for a few seconds. If it's that bad, then it would be noisy for a lot longer than 45 seconds. Is it definitely a rattle for a few seconds and not more of a knock?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
If it just started at 38 000km and lasts for under a minute I am not convinced it's piston slap. Also, this generally does not get worse very quickly as you described. It could be something else...
Can you hear it on idle ?
cheers for the input. maybe it's come on quickly as opposed to getting worse. that may not be accurate. cant hear a thing at warm idle

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I'm with Ron and wouldn't be assuming it's piston slap. If it was and only lasted 45 seconds, sweet, but you say there is also a "death rattle' for a few seconds. If it's that bad, then it would be noisy for a lot longer than 45 seconds. Is it definitely a rattle for a few seconds and not more of a knock?
I refer to it as death rattle but it's more like your typical lifter noise while oil gets taken up to top of motor. its a bit like my LS2 with 165,000kms but its not as loud - lasts exactly the same amount of time. 100% not a knock. I just successfully diagnosed a cold start bottom end knock in a 304 and had crank ground and bearings done - its absolutely perfect now

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I refer to it as death rattle but it's more like your typical lifter noise while oil gets taken up to top of motor. its a bit like my LS2 with 165,000kms but its not as loud - lasts exactly the same amount of time. 100% not a knock. I just successfully diagnosed a cold start bottom end knock in a 304 and had crank ground and bearings done - its absolutely perfect now

In that case most likely lifters....
Piston slap on LS3 generally occurs on cold start, it's not audible at idle and it rattles for about 5 min or so, under light load until the engine warms up...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Geez people rave about the LS3 but in reality there seems to be a lack of refinement and a lot of reliability issues with them.

I’ve never had to worry about refinement, longevity or poor QC for any of the engine within any of my previous cars :rolleyes: I‘m now left wondering whether the engine will even last the duration of the factor warranty period and what arguments I’d have with whoever is left to pick up these warranty issues :eek:

Maybe I need to go for a drive and forget about such issues :p

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If it's going to fail best it happens during the warranty period.

It does leave a lot to be desired though with the last of the V8's, it's a sad legacy for Holden.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Geez people rave about the LS3 but in reality there seems to be a lack of refinement and a lot of reliability issues with them.

Lack of refinement yes, but what do you expect from essentially an engine configuration from the 60's and 70's that's been refined over the years. It's not an advanced multi overhead cam European engine.

A lot of people complain about the LS motors as soon as they start to make the slightest of noises but they're not designed to be a silent modern engine. They're an old school pushrod V8 dragged into the modern age.

A little slap while not ideal isn't going to kill the engine. A little lifter noise isn't abnormal and isn't going to kill the engine. Some engines will make lifter noise, and if it does and it sounds even and constant (think sewing machine type noise), leave it alone. If it makes a small amount of noise on cold idle, leave it alone.

It's good some owners won't ever get a valvetrain upgrade as the noises made by a heavier valvetrain (i.e. heavy valve springs) would give them a heart attack.

I've got a VY Clubsport here, intermittently it has a bit of lifter noise, has had it for 40,000km. There's no fragments or particles in the oil when I service it so I leave it alone.