Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Lifter noise or Piston Slap?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Only the dash display reading so not verified as accurate.
as u have the actual sensor they may be able to swap it from the calc reading to the actual, tuners may have that option

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
as u have the actual sensor they may be able to swap it from the calc reading to the actual, tuners may have that option
Is the dash reading fudged?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Is the dash reading fudged?
if its the calculation then it based on engine run time, load, rpm, ect and others, if its actual then its actual, same as the oil temp readout there is a actual from sensor and then the calculation, the oil temp calc usually reads about 5-7 deg hotter then actual ive found

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
if its the calculation then it based on engine run time, load, rpm, ect and others, if its actual then its actual, same as the oil temp readout there is a actual from sensor and then the calculation, the oil temp calc usually reads about 5-7 deg hotter then actual ive found
Dunno if mine has been changed previously as it’s been tuned. Might have to buy an oil pressure tester and check. I know you don’t want any less than 10 psi at idle and my gauge is at 14 psi so probably best to check it with an accurate gauge.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Ok, heres a video i took this morning. Note that the camera makes the noise a lot louder than it actually is, but noise is the vid sounds exactly as real life.

That's pretty much exactly how mine sounded around the start of the year, now mine sounds like this.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
What I can suggest to date - When idling bring the idle up to around 1200-1500rpm - does the rattle get worse. Do the research and recognise that Lifter Tick occurs at a different frequency to Piston Slap - both sound different.
70,000KM on the odometer - when did you first notice the change? Have you had injector failures? Was it serviced by Holden Dealers? Very important - are you covered under Australian Consumer Law (ACL) as your rights do not end when the Holden Voluntary Warranty ended. Would suggest find out the cause before engine work starting if it is an ACL option - unless by an expert LS3 engineer then you may have the evidence needed to seek remedy under ACL. I believe there is likely a huge number of LS#/LS3 consumers with this issue (most not realising) or may experience this later down the track. Without the ACCC being aware little can be done. See also the NZ LS3 Piston Slap Court Case.
Re to test my research found this attachment below - US GM requires rocker cover removal. GMANZ demonstrated its version of a cold start engine noise diagnosis involves sitting in the drivers seat with the door shut, having the bonnet down and after starting even if the noise can be heard 40sec over the noise from a passing train then its classified as 'normal'/'characteristic' Piston Slap. Test stopped at 60 seconds.
Hope the above helps but note that you/others may still have means for remedy under Australian Consumer Law.

I'm not sure about @IBLOWN but with mine if you bring the revs up to around 1200 - 1500 at idle my noise goes away. Same if you drive it slowly soon after cold start it goes away then comes back when you lift off the accelerator. By normal operating temps noise is completely gone.
Had injector failure in i think mid 2020 and all injectors replaced by the dealer and currently only serviced by Holden.
How is your court case going in your other thread regarding your noise?

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Noise goes away when engine warm ?...Have you tried tightening the exhaust manifold bolts ...my LS1 had the ticking noise...turns out the right bank front exhaust manifold bolts needed a retorque.... make sure you dont overtorque and break them or there will be hell to pay...lol...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all LS tunes have piston slap spark advance to try and help the noise when cold, just adds advance when cold to increase the torque

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
all LS tunes have piston slap spark advance to try and help the noise when cold, just adds advance when cold to increase the torque
So they cover up a design flaw with software. Why am I not surprised.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its just LS engine with the alloy parts they used, the engine im building i can see my ring gap thru the piston to bore clearance because of the pistons i used, will i get some slap when cold most likely... am i worried about it NOPE... as long as its not there when its at operating temps its fine