Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 oil consumption

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I believe it can be fixed. My 98 does the same thing but probably a litre every 10k at a guess, still about double what it should. Although I'm yet to measure the amount, because oil for these is expensive enough, without doing top ups between oil changes, when the level doesn't even drop to the min mark on the dip stick.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Deep down you know you want LS3 ;)

Most people have zero issues with LS3..

It brings a smile to my face to see many of those restromod shows on the ‘B’ channels on TV showing a ‘LS conversion‘. The pick of the LS conversations seem to be the LS3 for the natural aspirated cars. As much as some might grumble, it seems that the LS, and in particular the LS3, is the engine. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The LS3 is the engine cause it’s cheap in the USA and easy to mod… It’s getting more expensive to buy down under if you’ve been following Holmart prices :eek: and I believe it’s going up in price even in the USofA (GM stopped selling creat engines?) :rolleyes:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The LS3 is the engine cause it’s cheap in the USA and easy to mod… It’s getting more expensive to buy down under if you’ve been following Holmart prices :eek: and I believe it’s going up in price even in the USofA (GM stopped selling creat engines?) :rolleyes:
When you can buy them for a few hundred bucks from the junkyard like you can in the US it’s no wonder they are the go to conversion.

Here in Australia they have always been at ripoff prices as there’s not that many here. Our equivalent conversion engine for bulk power here would be the Ford Barra, if you can fit one in your car that is.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Still spewin i didnt buy an lsa crate motor for $12500 from hol mart 2 years back,around $22000 now,even a new l77 is 18 grand bahaha
That guy is an absolute prick to deal with....
Lsa motors probably burn heaps of oil and have piston slap too,if i win lotto im still buying a vf gts 100%

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, Holmart seems to be the sort of place that would take your house for a glass of water if you were stuck on a desert island… no helping hand, just sign here for the glass of water…

A heartless soulless capitalist that simply cares about money and nothing else…

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
dont know why anyone would buy an LSA engine for that price, ud be better off buying a blower for 12k and rebuild LS 10k and u will have a better setup
Someone wanting a complete engine for a conversion into a hotrod or other non LS powered vehicle may want to go down the route of a crate engine LSA, agree tho it’s rather expensive

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Still spewin i didnt buy an lsa crate motor for $12500 from hol mart 2 years back,around $22000 now,even a new l77 is 18 grand bahaha
That guy is an absolute prick to deal with....
Lsa motors probably burn heaps of oil and have piston slap too,if i win lotto im still buying a vf gts 100%

You are right about the owner. Rudest person I ever dealt with. Really angry bloke...
Wonder what his story is...