Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 SV6 - Check Oil When Recently Serviced

xandy.pandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6
Around 4000kms ago, I had my SV6 serviced, and haven’t had any issues until about a week ago. I’m now getting a “check engine oil” message, yet it’s nowhere near due for another service. I’ve checked the oil, it’s not low, and it’s not seeming to run rough. Any idea on what’s going on and what I should do?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How many K's has the car done ?

Possibly replace Oil Pressure Sender unit.

Also check the OPS hasn't got any oil in the plug/connector,
If so, It will need replacing.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
It may be that the service interval notification was incorrectly set at your last service. The message displays when the next 15,000 km interval scheduled service is approaching. If there's nothing wrong with your oil level you can try removing the message by using the following procedure (for a keyless ignition system with auto transmission):
1. Press IGN button for 10 seconds with foot OFF brake.
2. Floor accelerator 3 times quickly.
3. Press IGN button again.

If you have a keyed ignition I guess you would have to experiment a bit but use the same basic procedure -- I don't know for sure as I don't have a keyed ignition.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Check what others have mentioned is a good starting point

But to further it, the HFV6 (LFX) engine is known to be an engine that consumes oil. Whilst it I doubt it should be that low after 4000km (May be a leak to check for), it will have consumed an amount of oil that will show on the dipstick.

Yes the LFX engine is FAR less prone to timing chain issues compared to previous engines, but they still do consume oil and checking/topping off of the oil every 3-4 weeks with the dipstick depending on your driving is a great form of preventative maintenance (That takes all of 5 min to do).

Its also general consensus that the 15000KM service intervals recommended by Holden where too far, most settle for 7500Km, 10000KM max (I do 7.5 myself, and just get oil when its on sale at SuperCheap/Repco etc)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I know this is a VF but I had the same trouble with the VE LEO Engine as my oil level was slightly LOW (check Engine Oil come up) not by much but all I had to do is add oil and it the issue was gone. Months later I purchased a Genuine float switch for the sump and during a oil change I change the float Switch and found sludge sitting on top of the floating section that made it heaver thus sinking easier and made the alarm come up.
I was surprised as the car had 90% of correct oil in it but needed that last 10% to fix the issue.

xandy.pandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6
It may be that the service interval notification was incorrectly set at your last service. The message displays when the next 15,000 km interval scheduled service is approaching. If there's nothing wrong with your oil level you can try removing the message by using the following procedure (for a keyless ignition system with auto transmission):
1. Press IGN button for 10 seconds with foot OFF brake.
2. Floor accelerator 3 times quickly.
3. Press IGN button again.

If you have a keyed ignition I guess you would have to experiment a bit but use the same basic procedure -- I don't know for sure as I don't have a keyed ignition.
Unfortunately mine isn’t a keyless start, but I mucked around with it and managed to clear the message. Hopefully that’s all it is, but I’ll see how it goes. Cheers ☺️