Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 parts into a L98?

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
I've got a bloke at work who has just done some engine work on his VF S2 and is selling some LS3 parts and are all under 5000k's old.

Is it worth putting in any LS3 valvetrain into a L98? Such as Cam, springs, lifters? My L98 has close to 210,000k's on it and am looking at refreshing the top end.

I dont want a cammed engine as i have a project car with one. I would like to keep it fairly stock coz its my daily and the wife drives it.....

Also, are the LS3 headers any better than the L98? Am getting a 2.5in catback done in the next week or so.

Cheers for any info

Kirbs

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Not worth the hassle for such minor benefit.
If you are doing top end anyway then yeah LS3 cam is fine, costs about $100 on eBay nothing special, needs different intake valves ($400-$500) else can't use those springs, new lifters are about $250 so that's about it.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Cheers Gav, that was a good read.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Sorry, I read valvetrain as cam, springs, lifters you know bits inside the heads and block. OP did not specifically mention complete heads incl. valves were on offer thus seemed parts available for scavenging were those mentioned - valvetrain. Mate's price for the new top end including heads and lower valvetrain is your call on feasibility of course but given you are looking to overhaul:
LS3 heads are worth $1000 pro overhauled as core swap through to super tricky $2500 outright. So realistically mate's complete assembled near new used LS3 heads for about $800-$1000 is good given cash back from sale of shagged heads.
If heads are not on the table I don't think DIY bits swap is worth the hassle mucking around all the valve/spring musical chairs / guides, seats and finishing.
Otherwise if you were not overhauling is it worth the time and effort to swap? Not with your objective(s).
LS2 / LS3 cam spec vs L98-L77... I made 300 rwkw with similar spec too but I read you don't want a cammed engine. In everyday driving the practical difference is marginal plus your L98 cam has better overall daily power delivery (load efficiency), specifically the low lift early IVC shines under torque peak. If you were racing or otherwise looking to make the most HP tits screaming sitting in rarified atmosphere of stinky dyno cell then yeah go more lift for more flow. Pretty hard to argue a shorter effective stroke is better performer most of the time though.
L-series vs LS cam spec is relatively marginal, that which makes one 'better' than the other is a sacrifice in usable normal driving for some top end, due to later IVC and extra lift. It's a two-way street. BTW if just looking to LS3 cam spec the easiest, cheapest way only takes an hour or so - undo valve covers and swap rockers, springs and pushrods.
Seems I misread OP question - not whether you should decide to overhaul based on the offer of specific LS3 valvetrain bits, rather you were going to overhaul anyway and want confirmation whether it's worthwhile utilising (bargain) bits from your mate's new engine? Sure. Not coz LS is better for what you need necessarily but coz new and presumably comes at a bargain price. Plus when you have the heads off to swap, there's a domino effect like lifters are then easy, and you might as well unzip timing cover and swap in a new stick and chain, etc.

Last edited:

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Not really looking to overhaul this engine, just want to freshen it up, the L98 has 210,000k's on the clock and would like it to run nicely for another few years without any major dramas. I don't have any plans to do any major HP mods to it, already have a weekend car with a decent cammed engine.

Only asking about the LS3 parts coz they are cheap and there if i do decide to use them, that's all.

Ill double check tomorrow what he is selling. Pretty sure its the cam, lifters and springs. I guess that's a good starting point, ill get rockers and rods at the same time to make sure everything is fairly new.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Not really looking to overhaul this engine, just want to freshen it up, the L98 has 210,000k's on the clock and would like it to run nicely for another few years without any major dramas. I don't have any plans to do any major HP mods to it, already have a weekend car with a decent cammed engine.

Only asking about the LS3 parts coz they are cheap and there if i do decide to use them, that's all.

Ill double check tomorrow what he is selling. Pretty sure its the cam, lifters and springs. I guess that's a good starting point, ill get rockers and rods at the same time to make sure everything is fairly new.

OK thought so, swapping LS3 intake valves is a bit problematic, not worth it on a streeter, because those springs won't suit your valves, and your springs won't suit those valves.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
OK thought so, swapping LS3 intake valves is a bit problematic, not worth it on a streeter, because those springs won't suit your valves, and your springs won't suit those valves.

Too easy. Ill just do all new L98 parts.

Cheers for the info mate

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Interesting, my tuner mentioned that to solve the harmonics issue in my LS1 that they replaced with LS3 springs, or maybe I go that wrong!