Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Running in and oil change.

galaga2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
That means a lot of restraint when I get my new toy!! How am I meant to drive a V8 like that?? ???

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition, Series 2 LS3, 6 Speed manual
So is the general consensus here that you do an oil change every 5000 kms with your LS3? I was thinking of doing one every 7500kms but doing the log book service on the 15thou mark each time

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I do an oil change in between scheduled 15K services at 7.5K.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Bigger sump capacity and better oils 7500 Is fine

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I stick a can of liqui-moly MoS2 every change as well. I rate their products highly and this stuff gets huge wraps as a genuine friction reducing additive. Going to step up to their cera-tec next change, that's supposed to be the ducks nuts.

King Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV Series2 6.2 Sportswagon
Took delivery of my Calais V Sportswagon Ls3 2 days ago, with 35 klms on the clock; now 198.

The manual has pages out of order and others missing, most disappointingly - the section relating to 'running in' is missing. ( dealer was disbelieving until I sent photos; another manual is in the post ! )

I have scrounged the relevant run in information from here and elsewhere on the net, but wanted to ask - does having bi-modal engaged make any difference during run in phase.

Generally, I know a straight through exhaust with little back pressure would not be ideal for a new motor, but am guessing bi-modal offers little variation in exhaust pressures ….

Just curious / am a worrier. Lol

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i wouldn't worry these engines have idled long enough that any critical ring sealing has been done before it sells

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Yep, personally I’d do an oil change considering it’s now over a year old and has more than likely never properly warmed up.

Other than that just drive the thing. As far as the exhaust and back pressure is concerned, someone on here has a comment in their sig along the lines of ‘back pressure is a fallacy, do you fart any better with a cork up your arse?’

Look, don’t overthink it, just use common sense - take it easy for the first thousand kms or so, (the odd bit of full throttle acceleration won’t hurt after a few hundred), then just drive it and and enjoy it. You don’t need to follow a formal running in procedure like older cars needed.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I run my cars in pretty much the way the owner's manual instructs you to but I don't get to fussed or concerned if I overstep the mark occasionally as long as I don't go stupid.

In the old days my old man who was a real believer in mechanical sympathy would take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles then take the car out onto the open road and run it up to 80 or 90 miles an hour and hold it there for about 20 miles to finish the bedding in.

In fact if the car wasn't new and the rest of the driveline had been well and truly run in he'd often just hold it in a lower gear so the miles per hour didn't have to be as high.

We've always done the first oil change after the run in is completed.

Over the years I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference in engine longevity with either process so I'd just stick to what the manufacturer says and make sure the vehicle is serviced regularly and not run at full tilt for extended lengths of time and you should have a happy relationship with your car.

I don't put many k's on any of my cars not even my dailies, maybe 2 or 3000klm per year so I tend to swap out the oil every 12 months or so to keep it fresh.

Oil changes should be done using a bit of common sense which means taking into account how you drive the vehicle, if you are going to regularly run it hot for long periods where the oil will deteriorate quicker, so keep an eye on the oil colour and at a minimum swap it out as per the manufacturer's instructions.

Changing every 5000 kilometres is all good and well if you choose to do that but it isn't necessary if the vehicle isn't worked hard, just remember to factor in the way you use the car and the timeframe and you should be fine.

That's just my thoughts, no need to go overboard but also don't be stupid and forget.

Last edited:

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Ive never worried about the run in period.. once you've had a few heat cycles and the oil is up to temp, drive it how you normally would.. I've always run my cars and bikes in hard with no dramas.

my way of thinking is if something is going to break I want it to break in the first 1000km, after that my warrenty is usually void after doing cam upgrade/tune etc