Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 VF2 tune and OTR questions

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
so i guess the unanswered question then is why did holden think it was a good idea?
I believe it started with Jaguar about 15 or more years ago they had one of their sporty cars with crackles and pops, they it stopped not long after because there were a few issues, engine damage and emissions from what I recall

From what I remember they tuned them that way to try and get them sounding like the old carbie sports cars

I'll try and google about them

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
After a quick google Jag changed the map in 2016 for the F type

Lots of people got upset it seems as when the owners took their car in for a service the service centre remapped the tune to remove the pops

They have since changed some engine and exhaust parts and they now crackle and pop again

A win for marketing?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I believe it started with Jaguar about 15 or more years ago they had one of their sporty cars with crackles and pops,
I heard it about 20 years ago with anti-lag systems on turbo rice burners and some thought the crackles and pops sounded cool. Somehow the sound gathered global momentum and BMW introduced it in the Competition Pack M3/M4 BMW's 2016 and they purposely back cackle in Sports Plus mode with the bimodal exhaust valves open. BMW stopped it in 2019 with the introduction of particulate filters in the exhaust.

It seemed to have mass popularity among several manufactures around the VF2 era in conjunction with bimodal exhausts. A lot of the good BMW tuners believe the back cackle tune is associated with M3/M4 (S55 engine) spinning timing gear crank hubs and won't do performance tunes with back cackle (burble) enabled. We've done a few BMWs remotely with USA tuners taking over our laptop whilst the car is on the dyno and that's an interesting experience!

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Anti-lag is great for keeping the turbo spooled, on race cars, where turbos are a consumable item and there isn't a catalytic converter in sight

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Anti-lag is great for keeping the turbo spooled, on race cars, where turbos are a consumable item and there isn't a catalytic converter in sight
Anti-lag is a bit of a band-aid fix for circuit cars with diff ratios too tall and drivers who struggle to get on throttle early enough mid corner. I've never seen a turbo car win races solely from the addition of anti-lag. A lot tried anti-lag on circuit cars but didn't seem as popular on bitumen as it was on rally cars in the dirt. May have helped to crack the car sideways in the dirt where sliding on a bitumen circuit ruins your lap time potential.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
For the same reason they thought it was a good idea to put the fuel pump in a spot where you need to drop the back suspension / cradle to get to it.
Another ingenious idea was the placement of the RH 02 sensor plug where you can't get your hand up behind the bell housing and firewall to unplug it. I chop them off and fit a Deutch Connector lower down on the sensor harness.