Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD Diff Clunk?

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
yes im having a problem with a clunk noise in my vx s2 ss as soon as i accelerate and again a 2nd time but louder when it shifts gear at around 40km wondering what it could be as the cars still in the 3 month statiotory warranty runs out in 6 weeks and after that only specific things are covered, could it be the auto trans, diff, or tailshaft? its a fairly annoying sound and when i took it to a mechanic they said they couldnt hear anything on the testdrive i think it really is a very loud & noticible noise but they didnt hear it.

Any thoughts or advice on what the problem could be would be much apreciated cheers!

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
really how did u fix it?
is it a cheap/easy thing to sort out? It really is an annoying noise i cringe whenever i hear it which is constantly
cheers

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
sounds to me like cv joints/axles , mine chops them out all the time mate

low vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS V6,98 VT 5.0 CLUBSPORT,VS V8 UTE 5 SPEED
drain and change diff oil to nulon high performance fully synth lsd diff oil.i had same thing happen 2 me in the v t clubby,changed oil all good now.its a common fault.
its not noisey when the diff oil is cold but as soon as diff oil warms up it starts clunking

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
As low vs said try changing the diff oil. LSD diffs will clunk if they have the wrong oil in them or if the oil has gone off.

R1DG3Y

Raising Hell Since 87
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Nissan Navara D22
drain and change diff oil to nulon high performance fully synth lsd diff oil.i had same thing happen 2 me in the v t clubby,changed oil all good now.its a common fault.
its not noisey when the diff oil is cold but as soon as diff oil warms up it starts clunking

did this in my VU a while back and solved the problem
try it and see if it cures yours

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
Thanx low vs ill try the nulon diff oil see i fthat does the trick, & h1ghrollr it mite be the cv joints cos i think the noise happens all the time even first thing in the morning cold
Also is $750 an ok price for a twin 2 1/2 inch difilippo catback system supplied &fitted? or is it abit steep

Gav1802

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5 litre
while changing the diff oil i would be checking the tailshaft happened to me not long back noise got louder turned out it was the rubber around the centre bearing in the tailshaft and in the vu the the centre bearings cant be replaced need to find another shaft