Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD differential heads up

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
RE: VE LSD replacement centre unit .... I was talking to the manager of a popular trasmission and Differential place that I use. They are checking and servicing the Auto and the Diff in my VE Sportwagon that I recently bought. He said they still get in 2 to 3 of the factory diffs per week! They must be pretty weak. From reading about them in this forum, that sounds pretty true. He also said that he would avoid putting in the Eaton TruTrak as their workmanship is often not up to par. (made in Taiwan) He said a significant number of them have to come back due to rattling and excessive play. I can vouch for that firsthand as I saw a video done by a guy with a TT in his 73 Plymouth that was making all sorts of clicking noises - plus I bought one myself from VPW in Sydney, around $1000 for another 70s muscle car and it also had a lot of slop in it. Returned it for a refund. So for anyone interested - it's a headsup if you were thinking of the Eaton.

This fellow at the diff place took me into the shop and showed me what they are now using - think they are called Powertrax. He said they seem to have a more consistent build quality and none have come back into the shop so far.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah its pretty common I'm told by my diff tech. Some places machine them out themselves to quieten them down. Sometimes they are sent back to be done. My tech prefers a Kaaz over a Trutrac but will fit a Trutrac if the customer insists.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
RE: VE LSD replacement centre unit .... I was talking to the manager of a popular trasmission and Differential place that I use. They are checking and servicing the Auto and the Diff in my VE Sportwagon that I recently bought. He said they still get in 2 to 3 of the factory diffs per week! They must be pretty weak. From reading about them in this forum, that sounds pretty true. He also said that he would avoid putting in the Eaton TruTrak as their workmanship is often not up to par. (made in Taiwan) He said a significant number of them have to come back due to rattling and excessive play. I can vouch for that firsthand as I saw a video done by a guy with a TT in his 73 Plymouth that was making all sorts of clicking noises - plus I bought one myself from VPW in Sydney, around $1000 for another 70s muscle car and it also had a lot of slop in it. Returned it for a refund. So for anyone interested - it's a headsup if you were thinking of the Eaton.

This fellow at the diff place took me into the shop and showed me what they are now using - think they are called Powertrax. He said they seem to have a more consistent build quality and none have come back into the shop so far.
Are you going the powertrax? Are you changing the ratio?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I believe the harrop true trac is meant to be built better and hold up to more power than the Eaton version,
a few years ago I fitted an Eaton version to my old vx ss and was mint had no complaints with it perhaps the quality has gone down hill recently

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Factory lsd has been piss weak ever since vt range but models before that clutches were bigger weak point to save on breaking parts....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd say the LSD's were a bit poor since they fitted BW diffs (VK/VL) it's just cars had a lot less power back then, can't comment about earlier Commy models as I've never had a genuine one, just upgraded.

Maybe quality had gone down hill if they are been produced overseas now instead of in the US although they have never had a perfect reputation, seen plenty of threads across the internet talking about issues with Eaton true trac diffs been noisy.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Same here with my Truetrac, Harrop version and zero issues.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Some places machine them out themselves to quieten them down. Sometimes they are sent back to be done. My tech prefers a Kaaz over a Trutrac but will fit a Trutrac if the customer insists.
Interesting... I'll do some research on the KAAZ - (Sounds Japanese?)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same here with my Truetrac, Harrop version and zero issues.
Shimtech said to me, him and another diff builder in Adelaide have had a few issues with the Harrop ones too.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Had 2 Eatons now in VY series cars.
The first was a bit clunky but it was behind a cranky manual. Still performed mint.
Current one in the Monaro is a lot better.
Powertrax look like a torsen style which is what the Eaton/Harrop units are. They will still single up if they get super low traction on one side or lift a wheel.
Look at a Wavetrac in VE and later if you want something better but you will pay for it.