Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ly7 engine tuning

Donny D

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore sv6
Good morning all I am wondering what is the best tuning software for the series 1 ly7 engine. My tuner uses hp tuners and he is complaining about lack of options specifically being able to change fuel ratios and having minimal adjustment of air flow because o f there being no map sensor. I looked at the provided tables for this platform and he is correct it only shows a few tables to adjust in comparison to the multitude of options with the series 2. I have a boosted build please advise the best software that you have come across or had experience with. Cheers

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
My tuner uses hp tuners and he is complaining about lack of options specifically being able to change fuel ratios and having minimal adjustment of air flow because o f there being no map sensor.
You will generally find that there isn't many tuning options for these engines, as they're very difficult and expensive to tune, with minimal power gains

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Good morning all I am wondering what is the best tuning software for the series 1 ly7 engine. My tuner uses hp tuners and he is complaining about lack of options specifically being able to change fuel ratios and having minimal adjustment of air flow because o f there being no map sensor. I looked at the provided tables for this platform and he is correct it only shows a few tables to adjust in comparison to the multitude of options with the series 2. I have a boosted build please advise the best software that you have come across or had experience with. Cheers
As stated above very limited on the ECU for options.
The guys in the USA are using aftermarket ECU's to enhance the LY7 but for more information on that you would need to join some of the forums over there and start asking questions.

Keep in mind though are road rules are completely different to theirs so if you do modify keep the original bits in case you have to be inspected.

Donny D

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore sv6
Thanks will try that. I have pushed it pretty far I have a capa supercharger currently 330rwkw but having fuel supply issues I have upgraded the fuel pump and just started to build a custom fuel rail. I think I will have to go with a haltech 2500 which I was hoping to avoid due to cost and finding someone willing to do the installation.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks will try that. I have pushed it pretty far I have a capa supercharger currently 330rwkw but having fuel supply issues I have upgraded the fuel pump and just started to build a custom fuel rail. I think I will have to go with a haltech 2500 which I was hoping to avoid due to cost and finding someone willing to do the installation.
I think I've seen your car on YouTube (it's a red VE SV6 I'm pretty sure)... Is it auto or manual? How much did this all cost you and is it worthwhile?

Donny D

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore sv6
I think I've seen your car on YouTube (it's a red VE SV6 I'm pretty sure)... Is it auto or manual? How much did this all cost you and is it worthwhile?
Yeah mate mines the red one. It's a 6 speed manual. It was $10000 for the supercharger kit, everything has been done, you name I have changed it. It's been really hard going but the power and the way it handles is worth every bit. I bought the car for $3700 and of I started with timing chain replacement I bought the timing chain the same day lol. With everything that is on it I'm into it for about $23000 I just bought staggered wheels and a w427 front bumper. If you need advice or info I'm happy to answer.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
I used to fit aftermarket ECU's to Harleys mainly for guys trying to squeeze every last bit out that they could get.
It's not cheap trying to get those last few and you always seem to find the weakest link in the drivetrain everytime you do get a few more.
But it's only money and as long as it wasn't mine it was a good time.
Good luck with your project.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Yeah mate mines the red one. It's a 6 speed manual. It was $10000 for the supercharger kit, everything has been done, you name I have changed it. It's been really hard going but the power and the way it handles is worth every bit. I bought the car for $3700 and of I started with timing chain replacement I bought the timing chain the same day lol. With everything that is on it I'm into it for about $23000 I just bought staggered wheels and a w427 front bumper. If you need advice or info I'm happy to answer.
I hope I can speak for the majority in that we'd love to see a build thread on this. I love the Capa kits and if money was no object it would be my next mod.