Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ly7 engine tuning

Donny D

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore sv6
Just out of curiosity here, why a supercharger over a turbo? Tuner preference?
Definitely not the tuner preference he would have much preferred a turbo set up. I didn't want the heat soak issues and most kits for the alloytec are mounted under the car and where I live they would not have lasted long and the belt driven supercharger technology has come a long way thanks to capa performance and procharger. My intake charge is usually below 45 degrees and stays the same, easy to intercool. Once I build my next engine it will be running 19psi and the power curve is very linear and no boost spikes, very predictable power which makes it a lot of fun in corners

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks mate it's been difficult but a lot of fun. How do I start a build thread do I just label the thread that?
As far as performance it embarrasses my xr8 and my ve 6l calais, with the supercharger it just keeps on pulling and up against turbo cars they get a early advantage but once you get to 5500rpm all he'll brakes loose. Before I put the staggered wheels on I was really struggling for grip. I still have to be good with throttle or it breaks loose. The only annoying thing is with 3.9 diff gears 1st gear needs to be longer I have been holding some revs and launching in 2nd not the best thing to do but it works but I try not to do it often. The best about the v6 is the engine positioning and weight distribution it handles like its on rails compared to my v8's.
Best place to post it is in this section, (I think), in the Show Off Your Ride Section.
IMG_4508.jpeg

In the VE section of that.
* I may have tastefully edited the list of acceptable Commodore models.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Definitely not the tuner preference he would have much preferred a turbo set up. I didn't want the heat soak issues and most kits for the alloytec are mounted under the car and where I live they would not have lasted long and the belt driven supercharger technology has come a long way thanks to capa performance and procharger. My intake charge is usually below 45 degrees and stays the same, easy to intercool. Once I build my next engine it will be running 19psi and the power curve is very linear and no boost spikes, very predictable power which makes it a lot of fun in corners
It seems like a lot of boosted alloytecs run superchargers than turbos. I bet it would be very responsive

Donny D

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve commodore sv6
It seems like a lot of boosted alloytecs run superchargers than turbos. I bet it would be very responsive
They are very responsive and predictable

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They fit well too.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
The internals of the Alloytec seem to be a lot stronger than what people give them credit for.
There is a video on YouTube about a N/A VZ alloytec 175 with 330xxx getting cams and a host of other bolt ons
I think it was pushing just shy of 200RWKW