Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

m22 gearbox

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive v6/vc commodores
wide ratio me mate said ill prepare it incase the five speed dont last everthing anyone has to say about em being weak dont sound good its onlly behind a red 202 should b ok........thanx for yor help

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo, VY Berlina V8 wagon
old post i know, but i have a 4 speed box on a 202 in my WB, my question is could i replace it with the commie 5 speed? I appreciate i'll have to modify the driveshaft, that's no major, but are the boxes the same length? Also will the same gearbox mount fit and will the gear stick be in the same position?

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I presume all M22s are the same as a M20 just different ratios. I changed my VH 202 trimatic to M20 and had no dramas with tailshaft.Just grab a trimatic 6cylinder tailshaft and you will be fine.

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
I presume all M22s are the same as a M20 just different ratios. I changed my VH 202 trimatic to M20 and had no dramas with tailshaft.Just grab a trimatic 6cylinder tailshaft and you will be fine.

Cheers, the real issue i think i'll have is actual box length with the 5 speed tho, from the pics i've seen the gearstick is in a different place in relation to the crossmember mount on the two. If i could find a 5 speed local i'd run a tape measure over one, but the only one i can see is in the North Island, bit of an expense to get it here if it proves to not fit.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
Grab a Trimatic gearbox bracket and tailshaft for the M22.All matched up on my Vh.The gearstick on the M22 will be the same.Do you have the complete Rat trap and linkages for your M22.5 speed ones will not fit.

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grab a Trimatic gearbox bracket and tailshaft for the M22.All matched up on my Vh.The gearstick on the M22 will be the same.Do you have the complete Rat trap and linkages for your M22.5 speed ones will not fit.

Doesn't have the rat trap clutch if that's what you're referring to, straight cable on the WB