Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mac or pc

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
guy's and galls,

im looking for a new system, been messing with the mac a little bit lately, seems to be oh so much fun. can do mac related stuff, and pc related stuff.

what is your view or opinion on mac vs pc. im leaning towards mac at the moment.

reasons.
1. it loaded up ever so fast.
2. it just worked
3. it can run all microsoft realted stuff, with a program that switches from mac to microsoft base.
4. is not capable of receiving virus.
5. is smaller
6. the resolution on the screen and clarity was just superior on the mac.

what do you think

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
You can get a custom built computer for less, with better numbers.

I thought i saw a thread on here of all the not so well known businesses that give good quality products.

To compare, mine cost 1200, and i got the equivilent to what Harvey Norman/JB etc were selling for over 2000.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I dont like Macs and I dont like Mac users.... Why, I work in/study IT, if everyone had Macs, I would never find anywork lol..... They seem to be a fairly solid system these days, though Windows still has the majority, their for making all compatibilitie issues simpler... really the same reason im not on Linux.

Personel preference really, and my personel preference doesnt sway macs way ;)

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I dont like Macs and I dont like Mac users.... Why, I work in/study IT, if everyone had Macs, I would never find anywork lol..... They seem to be a fairly solid system these days, though Windows still has the majority, their for making all compatibilitie issues simpler... really the same reason im not on Linux.

Personel preference really, and my personel preference doesnt sway macs way ;)

OI!!!!!! I use both. when you're in a windoze / mac environment you have all sorts of IT related fun. :cry:

We control all our art department PCs (windoze and linux) through the macs either with VNC or Remote Desktop, no need to leave your desk to print jobs.

To be honest, unless you need the grunt of a mac, you can get better value from a PC. I use macs at work and home because of the work I, otherwise I'd stick to just a PC at home.

Once the novelty factor rubs off, you'll soon get bored and it will just become another computer!! lol

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
I use both.

I work for a company who manufactures windows based PCs and my work-issued laptop sits in a cupboard. I use a mac laptop.

It's just easier. The user interface is far superior (in my opinion). Features like Expose and the dock save me loads of time.

Unfortunately I use the MS Office suite on mac, and it is sometimes painfully slow. I try to use the apple office software as much as I can.

As far as videos/music/editing it ****s all over PC's. Everything is just so easy.

I think most of the fun is in the peripherals. I bought an Apple timecapsule which is a wireless router with a 1TB disk in it. I plugged it in and every day the entire mac HDD gets backed up.

They also have this Airport Express gadget so you can stream your music to your home stereo system from iTunes.

I think the best way to describe it is just a pleasing user experience. It doesn't do a heap of things you can't do on a PC, but the process is just fun.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I use both.

I work for a company who manufactures windows based PCs and my work-issued laptop sits in a cupboard. I use a mac laptop.

It's just easier. The user interface is far superior (in my opinion). Features like Expose and the dock save me loads of time.

Unfortunately I use the MS Office suite on mac, and it is sometimes painfully slow. I try to use the apple office software as much as I can.

As far as videos/music/editing it ****s all over PC's. Everything is just so easy.

I think most of the fun is in the peripherals. I bought an Apple timecapsule which is a wireless router with a 1TB disk in it. I plugged it in and every day the entire mac HDD gets backed up.

They also have this Airport Express gadget so you can stream your music to your home stereo system from iTunes.

I think the best way to describe it is just a pleasing user experience. It doesn't do a heap of things you can't do on a PC, but the process is just fun.

I am so sick of people saying the mac is so much better for doing graphical/video stuff. Utter rubbish. The applicatuions used for this are THE SAME between a mac and a PC. Serious users will go out and buy CS3 and do serious work, the platform will make little difference. One more question, do the sell macs with 2/3 mouse buttons yet? (we used to get them and people would say how do I right click? you can but have to use a keyboard stroke).

The Dock = Quicklaunch bar, enough said it is just a bunch of icons that you use frequently

MS Office would be the same again (in 2007) due to xml formatting

For $200 you could buy a WD external drive from Office works and guess what, it backs up drives, I am pretty sure wirless you can get wirless devices aswell.

For $100 you could buy a set of speakers that rival most home stereos, just plug it into your PC and your there.

Getting a mac will in fact cost you far more than a pc. The inital cost is greater because there is no compittion beween manufactures. You can go to a computer fair and get a setup for about $1300 that would cream a mac in office productivity, 4 GB RAM, Duel Core, 1 TB HDD, and a nice wide screen.

And if you want to do a bit of gaming, well on a mac your pretty much stuffed. People look at buying PC's all wrong. The best way is to buy just behind the cutting edge, spend about $1500 every 2-3 years and you should be able to get something to last.

Last but not least, I supported MACs at a uni for 5 years along side PC's and I won't be doing it again.

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i had to post this

28dfa76627533dba870e71979eca6.jpg

oh and a mac would be capable of receiving a virus if anyone could be bothered making one for it. just wait for it. and since macs are so inexperienced with viruses, im sure that when one does get created, it will just destroy everything.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
I am so sick of people saying the mac is so much better for doing graphical/video stuff. Utter rubbish. The applicatuions used for this are THE SAME between a mac and a PC. Serious users will go out and buy CS3 and do serious work, the platform will make little difference. One more question, do the sell macs with 2/3 mouse buttons yet? (we used to get them and people would say how do I right click? you can but have to use a keyboard stroke).

The Dock = Quicklaunch bar, enough said it is just a bunch of icons that you use frequently

MS Office would be the same again (in 2007) due to xml formatting

For $200 you could buy a WD external drive from Office works and guess what, it backs up drives, I am pretty sure wirless you can get wirless devices aswell.

For $100 you could buy a set of speakers that rival most home stereos, just plug it into your PC and your there.

Getting a mac will in fact cost you far more than a pc. The inital cost is greater because there is no compittion beween manufactures. You can go to a computer fair and get a setup for about $1300 that would cream a mac in office productivity, 4 GB RAM, Duel Core, 1 TB HDD, and a nice wide screen.

And if you want to do a bit of gaming, well on a mac your pretty much stuffed. People look at buying PC's all wrong. The best way is to buy just behind the cutting edge, spend about $1500 every 2-3 years and you should be able to get something to last.

Last but not least, I supported MACs at a uni for 5 years along side PC's and I won't be doing it again.

Why wouldn't you support a mac / PC environment? If it's user error (PEBCAK), then it comes down to the more you use a mac the more comfortable you become and the easier it is, just like learning to use a PC.

Realistically if you need to justify or be be convinced to buy a mac, you don't need one.

oh and a mac would be capable of receiving a virus if anyone could be bothered making one for it. just wait for it. and since macs are so inexperienced with viruses, im sure that when one does get created, it will just destroy everything.

Of course virus's will be created for OSX, you don't expect AV vendors to sit back and let the apple market go untapped?!:whistling

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
apart from the fact that "mac vs pc" is a misnomer (they're the same thing under the bonnet now) you can buy a pc that's significantly better for a comparable price, and it's updateable down the track, new ram/graphics card/mobo whatever takes your fancy.

also if you really want, you can run hackintosh (cracked OSX on a PC) though it's technically illegal, and i wouldn't want to be caught suggesting that.

also there was one virus i know of for macs in 2006.

The virus, named OSX/Leap-A (also known as OSX/Oompa-A) spreads via instant messaging systems.

The OSX/Leap-A worm spreads via the iChat instant messaging system, forwarding itself as a file called latestpics.tgz to contacts on the infected users' buddy list. When the latestpics.tgz archive file is opened on a computer it disguises its contents with a JPEG graphic icon in an attempt to fool people into thinking it is harmless.

The worm uses the text "oompa" as an infection marker in the resource forks of infected programs to prevent it from reinfecting the same files.

if you really want a virus free computer, run linux, you can make it well prettier than OSX, for free, and every inch is customisable, get it dual booting with XP (don't touch vista with a clown-pole) or triple booting with hackintosh. the girls will be all up ons!*

*not really, but do it.

but don't pirate osx

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
use both. prefer the mac.