Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace Engineering Remote Flash Tuning for Fuel Economy

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
Hi, I'm interested in improving fuel economy and low/mid range torque on my 2011 VE 3.0L. Does anyone have experience with the Mace Engineering remote flash tune, and what kind of benefit it gave to fuel economy and torque?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you're doing this primarily for economy I wouldn't expect a massive improvement in fuel consumption. You already have the economy small displacement motor that also already has direct injection. Basically do the sums on how long it would take to make back the cost of the tune in fuel on a .5L per 100km improvement (in my uninformed opinion I estimate it would be less than that though) and see if it's worth it - I kind of did something similar on this post: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/otr-tuned-for-e94-e10.282924/#post-3106286

Should be able to kick up the torque and drivability a bit, but you should probably contact them to see what you can expect and what they can do for you.

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
I've worked out every 5% improvement in fuel economy will save me about $100 per year based on my usage.

I contacted Mace Engineering but they were unwilling to give me any figures or estimates so that's why I'm here looking for user experience.

ZXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sportwagon
I wouldn't waste your money. Would take years to even break even. Only thing i would recommend would be a throttle controller with economy mode. Get them on sale for under $200.

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
I wouldn't waste your money. Would take years to even break even. Only thing i would recommend would be a throttle controller with economy mode. Get them on sale for under $200.

This is the conclusion I've reached too. I have a throttle controller, but I'm not convinced it does anything long term. I think when you first install it you save fuel, but then you adjust to the new throttle behaviour and the fuel use goes back to normal.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You would be better off selling your commodore and buying a Corolla.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but looking for $100 saving a year in a commodore makes no sense when you can drive something much better on fuel. Even a BA falcon with factory LPG will blitz the commodore in fuel economy and expense.

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
Thanks bu
You would be better off selling your commodore and buying a Corolla.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but looking for $100 saving a year in a commodore makes no sense when you can drive something much better on fuel. Even a BA falcon with factory LPG will blitz the commodore in fuel economy and expense.

Thanks for the input but it's not useful in this case. The commodore ticks boxes that no other car can at the moment.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks bu

Thanks for the input but it's not useful in this case. The commodore ticks boxes that no other car can at the moment.

I can't see how it ticks any boxes the BA falcon can't other than being a holden die hard.

Kman42

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe 3.0 SIDI
It's a moot point since I've decided against the flash tune. Thanks anyway