Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE flash tune for SV6 SIDI...opinions?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
monkeyboy, I've got the MACE tune on my car, and I'm very happy with it, across the board.

It definitely has a lot more poke, revs out faster, and the gear changes feel great, especially in sports mode.
Fuel consumption has dropped to around 7litres per 100km on the freeway, I do very little driving in traffic, so can only comment on freeway fuel use.

As for the ghost cam, you can now select yourself what ghost cam you want, mild - moderate - aggressive, it's a pretty cool thing to be able to do, but not something I want to have on all the time.

For the cost, the Mace tune is very good, and Steve's customer service is FANTASTIC! :)

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Cheers for the advice guys. I spoke to Steve today and once the programmers are back, the tuning will begin. Can't wait :) I think I'll go with the aggressive ghost cam and see what it's like, I can always have it dialed down later if it starts rattling my fillings loose.

As well as the usual firmer shifts and improved fuel economy (if possible), I've asked for a 10% reduction in torque management in drive and a 50% reduction when in sports shift. With the headers, intake, and exhaust mods so far Steve assured me that's a combination that responds very well to a tune.

I like the fact that I can record some logs, email them to MACE and they will make adjustments and email me the updated tune at no extra cost. From all reports Steve is a top bloke and I haven't come across a single negative comment or opinion about his approach, attitude or his dealings with customers...so I feel confident the tune will help unleash some more of the hidden potential in the 3.6 SIDI :p

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Dude I'd get a custom dyno tune from sonny at autowerks. Bit more pricy but better results.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
How so Decimator? I've not a car dyno tuned and am curious about the differences in flash v dyno.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Flash is like a "one size fits all" tune. Where as a dyno tune by Sonny (one of the best in the business) will be a tailored tune to suit your car and modifications. Every car and motor is different so a custom tune is the way to go if your after the best results. Like i said earlier it will be more pricy, but a very good way to tie in all your mods.

Don't get me wrong, a flash tune is great and cheaper, but it's not as good as a dyno tune by a good operator.

DECIMATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I'm getting an ORSSOM OTR and custom tune done by Sonny on the 21st of Feb. I can let you know how I go

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Sounds good man. Keep us posted

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi there everyone

Again I am not sure what is involved with the SV6 tune, but with the remote V8 tune, you need to send logs of the vehicle getting driven to get things perfect.

I understand the reasons for a Dyno tune, (Controlled environment, you can get AFR and Timing information across the entire rev range, and torque curve), but I dont understand why people are saying a remote flash tune is a one size fits all tune.

I have sent MACE six hours worth of real time data logs, and used around $50 worth of fuel doing this.
The tune I have so far is great, but like anything, the more data MACE has to play with, the better they can adjust the tune to suit the uniqueness of your car / engine.

Again, its very difficult to do WOTs in third gear on the street, so a Dyno tune is going to give you that data very quickly, but keep in mind logging while driving can give you superior data when it comes to things like ambient air temps (I have some nice cold night time logs with temps around 17*C), and some hot weather logs where temps are around 33*C.
I also have lots of data on cold start driving, as well as at optimum temp driving, something that is difficult to do on a Dyno in a single day.

Think of it this way, how much would I have to pay to have several hours of Dyno time to get a tune right.
I do agree, a Dyno tune is the way to go if maximum power is what you seek, but in no way is a remote flash tune rubbish.

Just my 2c

MACE

Reaction score
To give people a clear idea of the practical aspect of the flash tuning process we offer please refer to the process below

• Fill out a form to establish your requirements
  • Wait for the programmer to arrive
  • Once arrived install software and drivers for the programmer
  • Read your current tunes (one for the engine and transmission)
  • Email these across and will email you a custom base tune shortly afterwards
  • Log how the car is running with the programmer and various conditions and report any other changes that you would like to take place and email back to us
  • With this info we'll email you out another tune if necessary
  • We repeat the last two steps until both parties are happy

Going by the above, we don't merely offer a flash and forget service.

I hope this has been helpful

Kindest Regards,
Steve

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Very informative steve, i am currently saving up on the side so hopefully in the coming months i will be contacting you. I do have a question though, i believe that you are based in Melbourne? I live in south morang and was wondering what is the expected time to install an otr and get a base tune on for a sidi? And also to get a lesson in how to program and data log stats from the car sent to yourself and load it onto the car again?

Cheers.