Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MACE Manifold Insulator & Plenum Spacer Review

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
What are the insulators made of??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Trent Nichols

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
why didnt you go the 25 mm plenum spacer, is there a reason or cant you go that big on a standard engine

MACE

Reaction score
why didnt you go the 25 mm plenum spacer, is there a reason or cant you go that big on a standard engine

If the engine isn't running boost going the 25mm plenum spacer hurts engine responsiveness.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

menace2sobriety

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY soon to be boosted
25mm Manifold Insulator and 12mm Plenum Spacer fitted the other day, took roughly 35 minutes all up ( no dicking around ) + a bit longer to let the GOO set, no need for instructions, everything is very basic

Now at idle with the bonnet open the whole plenum is cool to the touch even when the engine is hot-hot, obviously with the bonnet closed this heats up but is still a lot cooler than the intake

Bottom end torque has increased and has also seemed to increased throughout the entire rev range, if I have the wheels on any angle while taking off with anything over quarter throttle it will start to spin the wheels

No modification was needed for my bonnet

Quick and easy mod to do, for the extra low down torque you pick up, it is worth the money

Cheers

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
I was thinking the 12mm goes on the bottom and the 25mm on the top, or can one chooses any combination they like.

MACE

Reaction score
25mm Manifold Insulator and 12mm Plenum Spacer fitted the other day, took roughly 35 minutes all up ( no dicking around ) + a bit longer to let the GOO set, no need for instructions, everything is very basic

Now at idle with the bonnet open the whole plenum is cool to the touch even when the engine is hot-hot, obviously with the bonnet closed this heats up but is still a lot cooler than the intake

Bottom end torque has increased and has also seemed to increased throughout the entire rev range, if I have the wheels on any angle while taking off with anything over quarter throttle it will start to spin the wheels

No modification was needed for my bonnet

Quick and easy mod to do, for the extra low down torque you pick up, it is worth the money

Cheers
Glad to hear that you're happy with the upgrade menace2sobriety :D

I was thinking the 12mm goes on the bottom and the 25mm on the top, or can one chooses any combination they like.
For a naturally aspirated ecotec, the ideal combination would be a 12mm plenum spacer and a 25mm manifold insulator. The reverse would be true for a boosted ecotec

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

RagingDemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Commodore VX Acclaim
I got this kit installed recently for my 2001 VX commodore :) good kit i brought mine from MACE website. Noticible gains, only problems i had was that the top of my engine hits the bonnet when its closed causing the bonnet release to jam. Found out today i can pop my bonnet :( i can see the flex in my bonnet from sitting on the engine :( thinking about cutting a hole in the spongey stuff under the bonnet... Sigh

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi Mate,

What combination of spacers are you using? do you have the engine cover fitted? Have you fitted new engine mounts?

Cheers

MACE

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for your enquiry.

"I got this kit installed recently for my 2001 VX commodore good kit i brought mine from MACE website. Noticible gains, only problems i had was that the top of my engine hits the bonnet when its closed causing the bonnet release to jam. Found out today i can pop my bonnet i can see the flex in my bonnet from sitting on the engine thinking about cutting a hole in the spongey stuff under the bonnet... Sigh"

This is very unusual. If you have fitted new engine mounts this could very well be the problem. If you require any further help on this matter please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Kindest Regards,

Bill