Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Made car worse after coil change

alvz2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
My vz had a shaky engine and have less power but would be drivable.

So I changed all the spark plugs and swapped 2 coil packs with 2 I had in the glove box, started up and was running the same as before.
So then I changed the 2 coil packs that had the dirtiest spark plugs with the two coil packs I had.
And now it won't start. The engine makes a nice vvvvvvv sound but won't make the chk chk chk sound to start up.

I bought 2 used coil packs and rotated a bunch around but I still can't solve the issue.

Clearly I should have taken it to the mechanic but now I can't even drive it there.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Have it towed to where you should have taken it is my best advice.

alvz2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
So you fitted new spark plugs but did you check the plug gap before fitting them ???
then you fitted second hand coils, not a good idea, go get 6 new coils.
Yes I did check the gaps. They are good spark plugs.
And it started up after changing the spark plugs.
It's only after I swapped some coil packs around that it won't start.
Yes maybe I should bite the bullet and order 6 new ones. I just can't believe its the coils if I've rotated them a few times and should have removed the bad one by now

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes maybe I should bite the bullet and order 6 new ones. I just can't believe its the coils if I've rotated them a few times and should have removed the bad one by now
Your new coils might be worse than the old ones.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
New parts are not what they used to be. It’s become common for new parts to be faulty out of the box. Quality control is now the end user finding the fault.

As for plugs, buy only from reputable shops. Avoid online purchases. EBay and Amazon are filled with counterfeit plugs from all major manufacturers. They are extremely good copies except for one thing, the internals. Even the manufacturers have a hard time identifying copies until they are cut open. If you bought them from Amazon or eBay at a great price but not too cheap at the same time, chances are they’re knock offs.

Coils can be hit and miss as well.

The other thing can be simple vacuum leaks. You have to remove the intake to get to the back plugs and reusing gaskets can be iffy. The PCV hoses can be easily damaged as well creating more vacuum leaks. Big vacuum leaks can easily make the car run like crap.

alvz2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Thanks for the tips.
I just replaced all coil packs with new ones aaaaand it still doesn't start.
Well its been fun... Off to the mechanic..

On the vacuum leak thing, sure I probably bent/broke something. Might have a look again tomorrow

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Any codes come up? If you are an RACV member they can scan it for you.

MasterMusician

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 One Tonner
The gaps nor the problem. They are sufficient out if box..., it might sound silly but ehen you say you swapped the coils, you do mean you physically swapped, and not just switched cables that would change firing order and wouldn't start ......, if it's only one faulty coil do this.., start engine and pull one ignition coil lead off and if there is no change in idle than thsts the dead coil (cylinder, issue Etc)

but if there Is a negative change than that cylinder mist likely is nit the issue....., keep doing this systematically to each cylinder to you find the cylinders that don't change the idel and they are the coil/cylinders that you need to swap out

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for the tips.
I just replaced all coil packs with new ones aaaaand it still doesn't start.
Well its been fun... Off to the mechanic..

On the vacuum leak thing, sure I probably bent/broke something. Might have a look again tomorrow
It’s not about bent or broken. The vacuum lines can appear connected fine. Looking at them won’t resolve a vacuum leak. The hoses have to be soft, not hard. Ideally a smoke test will reveal the leaks as smoke comes out every tiny place there’s a leak.