Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Magnum - current value/prices Black Auto 23,000kms

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys I got a couple estimates today from yards for my black auto magnum. its 23,000kms and unmarked. I have an outright purchase offer at $53,500 and an offer to consign it with the view to retail it at $56-57 that would see me walk away with the same money as the outright purchase offer. The sticking point is that it's going to be a suck it and see if I take it to market privately. The evidence that the dealers are using is up to a year old and I believe based on the fact there is only 2 currently for sale on Carsales, that the market has picked up for them. When I purchased it a year ago I had my choice of 3 in WA and I think there were nearly 15 available Aust wide. There is currently a red auto with same KMS at $69,500 thats been on for 84 days and a guy trying to retire on a low kms black manual at $109,000. I bought it a year ago with 2,000 kms for $62,000 to I'm taking a big haircut. My heart of hearts is telling me to take it private at $59,990 and I'm still 10k clear of the same car in a far less desirable colour. Thoughts for those in the know would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of outright buy and understand they need to make money on the flip but it could be a throwing money away given the lack of competition in the market may illicit an easy transaction via private sale. thanks :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Take the money and run. I am amazed you can get that much for it.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE

Ok. the market is all over the place. there are pragmatic sellers with low kMS redlines at mid to high 40's then the pie in the sky 'holden is closed' crew which are well into the mid 50's

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Ive got a white june 16 redline manual ute locked down at 40k. it's only 30,000 kms. its scruffy though. needs, two front tyres because he was crusing with low air pressure, 3 PDR dents done and a really really deep interior clean as I dont think it's been vacuumed once. 75 year old owner!

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The prices for the V8 VF Series II on Carsales are absolutely farcical. Right now prices are inflated because of the closure of Holden and people thinking they can make money out of nostalgia.
I find it hilarious in the limited edition Facebook groups how owners believe their Motorsport editions are rising in value because of the closure and believe they can get huge figures for a 3 year old car that's already been driven for over 10000kms.
If there was a limited edition that would be worth more, it would be the rarest one which is the Magnum.
Those who wanted one have already got one.
I agree with Ron, take it and run.
Though at the end of the day it's your money and you need to be happy with your returns.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you're not in a hurry try the private sale route first.

If you're unsuccessful then you'll know your asking price is too high and may find the outright sale from the caryard is a more realistic and fair price.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Loads of factors at play here right now:
  • Corona messing up people finances (simultaneously people wanting to sell unaffordable cars and others with no money/need to buy one)
  • Also no ability to travel to buy interstate
  • Holden closing and people "cashing in" or getting worried about spares and selling up
  • Tax time?!
Did you buy it and plan to flip in only a year, or just moving on?
As panhead said, if no rush try private and see.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I noticed that my insurance (RAC) has increased my agreed value on my VF2 from $42k to $49k...

Some day I wish some distracted soccer mum in her ubran tank would "accidently" write the car off near a school zone and then I can use the money & upgrade...

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Good luck! Its a terrible time to be selling a car, the auto industry/category is fucked at the moment. With that said, my MSE was this week valued by my insurance at 69k and I paid 72k for it 3 years ago (has circa 25k kms) and has been modified. If you can, I'd suggest holding on to it, as people will feel more comfortable in 6-12 months, given the situation with COVID and the recession.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Good luck! Its a terrible time to be selling a car, the auto industry/category is fucked at the moment. With that said, my MSE was this week valued by my insurance at 69k and I paid 72k for it 3 years ago (has circa 25k kms) and has been modified. If you can, I'd suggest holding on to it, as people will feel more comfortable in 6-12 months, given the situation with COVID and the recession.

Mate cars are moving fast over here in the 5-25k range. HSV's in the sub 45k category are performing well. There's only two magnums on the market and only one that is really for sale... so I think now is a fantastic time in terms of lack of comp/choice.

Last edited: