Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value and selling of a VF 2014 Redline with W kit

Dawgyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline 14
Hi guys,
Due to the current financial crisis, I'm having to part with my beloved VF Redline which I purchased in 2014. I had a W310 walkinshaw kit installed on it not long after purchasing.
I'm looking to sell it, however, I've seen there are plenty of scammers around and with this type of vehicle I'm a little hesistant to list it privately and potentially have it stolen etc. I was looking at going down the route of having a valuation done from a company like Carsales and seeing what they offer.
In experience do these types of sales get a what you'd call "Less than reasonable" offer? I understand it would be lower than a private due to a number of factors such as them being a dealer etc, but obviously, a lot safer/easier.
Just looking for advice, thanks guys.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hi guys,
Due to the current financial crisis, I'm having to part with my beloved VF Redline which I purchased in 2014. I had a W310 walkinshaw kit installed on it not long after purchasing.
I'm looking to sell it, however, I've seen there are plenty of scammers around and with this type of vehicle I'm a little hesistant to list it privately and potentially have it stolen etc. I was looking at going down the route of having a valuation done from a company like Carsales and seeing what they offer.
In experience do these types of sales get a what you'd call "Less than reasonable" offer? I understand it would be lower than a private due to a number of factors such as them being a dealer etc, but obviously, a lot safer/easier.

Take it to your closes car dealership and ask them to give you a buy from you price.

You'll quickly learn what it's low ball price is.

Last edited:

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Hi guys,
My son was updating his 2019 Mini through BMW/Mini in Brisbane just before the middle of last year. That’s where he bought it new, had it serviced etc. It only had 25k on it, always garaged, peak condition inside and out. Mini offered him $15k for a trade whereas it was probably worth low $20k private sale. Living in the middle of Brisbane he didn’t want to go down the private sale path for reasons similar to yours.
He went online and Carsales said between $15300 & $18700 dependant on inspection. Carsales directed him to take it for an inspection to Eagle Farm where the guy there had a quick look and said he had rarely seen a car brought in in such good condition...$18700 no arguments. Son was happy with no faffing about.
The kicker was that this valuation place was the same mob that did Brisbane BMW/Mini valuations so the valuer asked the son why he didn’t just trade it there…of course he told them not for $15k if he could help it.

So I would say get an online Carsales offer…they just ask a few basic questions with no obligation to go further with them.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Above is great advice, independent dealers can be good, if not happy walk away.

Other option for private is meet 5kms at a servo or some other place that is not near home for those that want to meet and see the car.
It also means taking the long way home so they don't follow you.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A dealer low-balling will very likely just look at an average-condition wholesale price from somewhere like RedBook ... which you can't get unless you subscribe, but you can sorta-kinda take a guess at by seeing what they list for it & adjust a bit according to actual distance traveled.

The following is for an MY14 auto sedan ...

1710393957480.png

For a trade-in the Walky kit won't add anything, for a private sale it's absolutely the luck of the draw & depends on who's buying at the time ... you get a whole range of beliefs between "phwoar extra power as soon as I buy it worth heaps more!" and "booo it proves the car's been trashed and Walkinshaw isn't very good quality so who knows what damage it's done to the car".

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
China’s economy is imploding.

Iron ore price is collapsing.

If you need to get rid of it, get rid of it. Don’t hold out for a few extra $$$ if an offer comes.

Cause if you think the economy is bad now, wait and see how it’ll be in 6 to 12 months