Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Main fuse blowing

drew79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
i have a vy v6 in a ford transit but the brown/blue wire is part of the original commodore engine wiring loom on the passenger side near the ecu. i traced the wire back from the blown fuse unplugging things until the fuse stopped blowing going back as far as i could go, had it down to the brown/blue wire and a orange wire both running back into the engine bay wiring loom for the motor. I decided to cut one of the wires, fuse didnt blow and engine runs and drives just a bit rough when cold

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
If you replace the fuse with a headlamp bulb and reconnect the battery with ignition off the lamp will glow indicating that major current is flowing. Then use a clamp meter to locate the particular loom carrying the excessive current. Then go through each wire in the loom one by one with the clamp meter until you find the wire carrying this current.
Yeah, it's time consuming but eventually you'll find the faulty wire.

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
Cheers for all the replies sorry I forgot to update the problem,

I spend hours going through wires and checking any thing and everything i was just about to give up when i seen a wire had come off the electric fan and was earthing to the chassis.

I didn’t really think anything of it but i had run out of ideas so i fixed the wire threw another main fuse in and all of a sudden it kicked into life, so yeah something so simple but overlooked