Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making engine run quieter/smoother, ideas?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The flywheel came up great. I even put a micrometer up to it to check that id didn't have the wobbles.
I was a bit worried as it had a slight movement to it. About a 1mm.
So I removed it and put the VS 8 bolt on. Checked that and found it did the same anyway which made me think it's most likely the cranckshaft causing it and is also likely to classed as "within tolerance"
1mm at outside diameter is a bee's wisker in at the crank.
I like coming up with my own costless alternatives.

1mm runout sounds very excessive, i had the vr specs written down somewhere but i can't find them......

best info i can find is the maximum flange runout on the crankshaft for VN & VR both 0.05 mm
the gregories manuals have the runout listed for an auto flexplate (useless but here's the numbers) 0.20 mm VN, increased to 0.38 mm VR v6....

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys can the serpentine belt tensioner itself (not bearing) cause noises?

I get this noise that I never figured out. Sometimes it comes on when trans is put in reverse and sometimes it comes on when a/c is switched on....... it's a metallic "jing jing" noise, like taping two coins together and have heard it on other ecotecs. My ecotec has new pulley bearings everywhere and new water pump a/c comp bearing is not noisy.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Possiblby the spring in it.
Could try some spray into the spring area on the tensioner. Or a bearing thats faulty and only does that under pressure.
Even a new bearing could be sus. Especially nowa days. Do you have a stethascope. If not use a hose up to your ear and try to pin point the noise.
Could also be in the alternator

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
I have a hose that I use for finding noises. I guess the alternator would make a noise and do that under load such as Lights, Blower on etc. I'm going to use the hose to look for exhaust leaks apparently VS (or was it VR) are common for manifold cracks.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
I have a hose that I use for finding noises. I guess the alternator would make a noise and do that under load such as Lights, Blower on etc. I'm going to use the hose to look for exhaust leaks apparently VS (or was it VR) are common for manifold cracks.

My Vs has been pretty good. Maybe it's the VR that has the Manifold cracks issues
DId you find the "jing jing" noise. :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
seen a few vp/vr manifolds cracked (something about the uneven port spacing from memory), haven't heard of ecotec cracking

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
I will see about the jing jing noise, for some reason after I replaced the water pump it HARDLY happens, but at times it STILL happens.

On the point of making the car be smoother and quieter, would it be a good idea to replace front subframe bushes with new to minimize engine vibration to cabin..... Pedders and other suspension places don't sell these....... I guess Genuine Holden ??

Also I guess new Steering rack bushes might reduce steering wheel vibration when idling? I guess they are the only thing that joins the steering column/rack to the engine crossmember and provide dampening etc.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
On the point of making the car be smoother and quieter, would it be a good idea to replace front subframe bushes with new to minimize engine vibration to cabin..... Pedders and other suspension places don't sell these....... I guess Genuine Holden ??
as in kframe to chassis rails? if so then there's no bushes there, it's bolted directly to the car

Also I guess new Steering rack bushes might reduce steering wheel vibration when idling? I guess they are the only thing that joins the steering column/rack to the engine crossmember and provide dampening etc.

once again there's no bushes there, it's bolted directly to the kframe.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Oh That's weird I thought most cars had bushes on Crossmember to Chassis for reducing noise,
and that every car should have Steering rack bushes??

Oh well.