Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Making engine run quieter/smoother, ideas?

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
If your stil up and reading I'll take a pic of the bush in the block and show it.
I think I mensioned earlier that I recon the needle bearing cage will seal off the hole they drilled without needing to plug it even. But I'll confirm it.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
another thing i thorght of was maybe they say to replace it as if the front bearing fails then it could do some damage to the sleave on the other end?? im just throwing ideas out here haha why the hell wont a holden guy that designed these ####ing engines come on this site and tell us!!! lmao

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
another thing i thorght of was maybe they say to replace it as if the front bearing fails then it could do some damage to the sleave on the other end?? im just throwing ideas out here haha why the hell wont a holden guy that designed these ####ing engines come on this site and tell us!!! lmao

As above that'd be the least of your worries if the front failed that badly, the bush would be a softer material than the sleeve on the shaft.

The front bearing isn't hard to remove, using a press would be the ideal way (have one here but didn't use it).
One of the random spares i have here i just tapped it off with a hammer and drift (tapping on opposing sides evenly a couple of hits each) while supporting the balance shaft in a vice with soft jaws, it slide off evenly and easily.

some specs according to gregory for a vr (shouldn't be much different in the ecotec unless they've lowered the tolerance):

maximum end float for the balance shaft: 0.203mm
Maximum shaft gear backlash: 0.050-0.127mm

Last edited:

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's the pics coming.
By the way if you answer before the pics. Can I zip the file and clip it that way or does it have to this other pain of a way I'm doing it
I have to compress email it to myself to bring the size down.
I cant seem to compress it without zipping it.
Am i making any sense??
Still trying to get the hang of pic posting.
And how do yu guys get the pics up large as life?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I use a free program called slowview to resize pics, fairly basic software.
If the site allows zip files (haven't looked) you could upload that but then everyone that wants to look at it would have to download the attachment, unzip then look.
Easiest way to link big pics is to get a photobucket account, upload images then link the url to the post.

You mentioned blocking the oil feed hole by putting the roller cage in the back, only issue i can see with this is that the bearing still needs an oil feed for lubrication (will dig a buick block out in the daylight and have a look at how it's setup)

Last edited:

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's the pic of the rear bush from the previous engine out of my VS,

P5040219.JPG
You can see the oil feed hole at the lower left.

P5040231.JPG
This shows the valley area from front you can see the location for the front bearing. All basic stuff really.
I would make the pressing tool to INSTALL a needle bearing. It would be done easier with the engine out so as to take off the back plate and give easier access for removal of the bush,which also gives the back plate a new seal.
The rear seal and more impotantly the plate gasket would be bound to be on it's way after 250.000 to 300,000k's.
But if taking the engine itself out is not on the cards the other option would have to be cutting the bush through with a hack saw blade to make it easier to pull out. You may get lucky if theres a bit of a gap behind the bush to get a small bearing/ bush puller on it.

Attachments

• P5040218.JPG
    P5040218.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 184
  • P5040216.JPG
    P5040216.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 180
  • P5030215.JPG
    P5030215.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 206
  • P5040233.JPG
    P5040233.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 177
  • P5030213.JPG
    P5030213.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
has that flywheel been on a diet? or are my eyes playing tricks on me

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Would give you the pics of the setup but its on my phone wich is another one to get figured out.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Its a 6 bolt Vn F/w with 8 bolt adaptor I made it myself.
Don't worry there not for resale :)
Will have it ready to test in the morning.
Reason for adapting is the 6 bolt is heaps lighter than the 8 bolt. So yes it kinda has been on a diet

It still need final bolting as you can see