Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

making SSV Z series with 3" exhaust quieter

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
at the moment i have the SSV Z series sedan with full manta exhaust in 3" mild steel, quiet option. i also have a OTR CAI and have it dyno-tuned for 360rwhp. there's too much drone for me, i'm really sick of it now and want to make the car quieter.
there's a few things i need to factor into my decision:
- i could put the stock system back on but i don't want to throw away all of the performance and money i spent getting there.

-i don't want to spend too much extra money.

-the current system is really well designed physically in that it sits perfectly and looks great. i have seen LOADS of commodores where the rear mufflers are really wonky and i'm a bit of a stickler for that sort of thing

what are my options here? the car sounds awesome at WOT but i can't always drive around like that

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Sell your system and buy a 2.5inch? Or see if someone out there is willing to do a straight swap?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I have the twin 2.5 manta system with middle and rear mufflers. Dead silent at cruise.
You could perhaps mod a 2.5" rear muffler set up to fit on the back of your 3" system. Might help tone it down a touch?

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
so y'all reckon most of the drone is from the diff back not because of the 3" pipes?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As stated previously, try the factory mufflers.
Or, find some HSV vacuum bimodal mufflers and lock the valves closed.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The exhaust gas speed in the bigger 3" pipes def won't help but quality rear mufflers do help the drone. In fact nearly all the drone will come from the rear cans.
A friend has an auto blown/cammed 6L VE with twin 3" system and the stock rear mufflers. Drives near silent but still loud enough at idle to notice the cam and is very throaty when you boot it. Lost no power going back to the factory cans either. Try it. Its cheap and you may like it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep 2.5" rear will tone it down enough to be bearable or like most bi-modals.

Workmate has 7 litre blower/cam etc vf clubsport...bi-modals help keep it quiet enough for daily duties.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
update! i have the stock rear muffler fitted, seems to bolt right up, the car pretty much sounds very close to stock now. down the line i will probably fit 2.5" rears so i can hear a little bit of a growl and the crackles and pops aren't completely castrated. for now i am very happy.