Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manifold insulators problem/flaw?

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
So remove the spacers ASAP and see what happens.

Does the VZ have a power button on the auto trans ?
200rpm - 300rpm is the approx the diff between the economy mode and power mod.
Is it caught between the 2 programs when trying 2 shift between gears?

This is what my VS does when I manually play with the power button.

Take it easy on me I am not a mechanic just thinking out loud on the internet.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Z3RO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
I want to buy a set of these insulators. I need to contact Mace. They will work with the CPR6 I trust.

MACE

Reaction score
Can take them off to see how it goes I guess. I'm guessing it's more to do with the calibration myself, or lack there of with the 5 speed autos sadly :(

If the problem still occurs, you may want to consider physically bumping up the line pressure in the box to prevent it from slipping between gears.

Or there maybe something mechanically wrong with the box, who knows. It's a case of process of elimination now, to resolve your issue.

The problem you're experiencing is definitely not common, based on the shear number of insulators we've supplied over the years, so I would be most grateful to be kept in the loop as to what the outcome is

Please keep us posted

Cheers,
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
I want to buy a set of these insulators. I need to contact Mace. They will work with the CPR6 I trust.
On VE's apparently they actually make the installation process of the CPR6 easier. The only catch is that the manifold can rub up against the plastic cowl of the firewall (apparently not an issue) and longer bolts are required (which we don't supply)

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
everything is sealed and it has.nothing to do with the bolt. its been there eversince I've had the spacers. it was there.before the exhaust before and after two tunes... its not.a.vacuum leak. also its not as though it just hovers.on a certain rev like a flat spot its more like the car changes into another gear.. sorry i can't explain it any better. it does not happen in drive only active select

EDIT: "its been there eversince I've had the spacers." meaning the flaw in acceleration not the snapped bolt. the bolt only happened a couple days ago. This problem has been since i can remember which was when i changed to the spacers.

If it's only doing it in active select and not when in normal Drive then it's a tuning issue otherwise it would also happen when it's in drive. I would suggest that the issue is most likely related to the torque management function (aka torque limiting) due to the fact that the 5speed auto's are a bit weak.

Problem may not be as noticeable with the spacers removed because of the reduced torque :D

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Mine does this with the spacers in A/S mode aswell. Mine actually does it in 3rd, 4th and 5th and it is just the Torque converter locking up as it is suppose to. Though since i got the spacers it has started doing it in second gear where the Torque converter can not lockup so it has to be a different issue???

I think immortality might be on to something there. Since the spacers add torque down low the computer may be getting confused. Ive had most of the torque management taken out with a VCM tune though i know Dale could not get rid of all of it.

Stewlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV ute M6
I have a similar thing in my sv6 in drive which feels like a small flat spot on the rev range somewhere in the high 2000's, haven't tried it in a/s but I will and report back if anything weird happens. Feels like the revs hover for a sec then continue upward without dropping.

Question for Steve: were the vz insulators made for keeping intake temps down primarily? And was the thickness of the insulator 12mm for heat reasons or was that a calculated thickness which aided the runner length for smoother airflow and better torque, I've always wondered if perhaps the flat spot it turbulence in the plenum/ runners?

Cheers!

MACE

Reaction score
I have a similar thing in my sv6 in drive which feels like a small flat spot on the rev range somewhere in the high 2000's, haven't tried it in a/s but I will and report back if anything weird happens. Feels like the revs hover for a sec then continue upward without dropping.

Question for Steve: were the vz insulators made for keeping intake temps down primarily? And was the thickness of the insulator 12mm for heat reasons or was that a calculated thickness which aided the runner length for smoother airflow and better torque, I've always wondered if perhaps the flat spot it turbulence in the plenum/ runners?

Cheers!

"were the vz insulators made for keeping intake temps down primarily?"
Runner length

"And was the thickness of the insulator 12mm for heat reasons or was that a calculated thickness which aided the runner length for smoother airflow and better torque"
The thickest spacer we could go

"I've always wondered if perhaps the flat spot it turbulence in the plenum/ runners?"
It appears most likely calibration related, in particular the 5 speed auto component.

Does this happen to anyone else in their alloytec, especially in drive?

treyflip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ok so right now im waiting for the car too cool down completely as i already have 1 snapped plenum bolt :supersad:, but when its ready im pulling the plenum and inlet manifold to get the bolt out, replacing the inlet gasket and removing the spacers and putting a normal gasket, and changing my 5 old remaining coil packs.
After this, hoping all goes well, i'll have brand new coilpacks and spark plugs, no spacers, car will be sealed nicely and i will reset the computer and see how it runs. If it still does it then it is completely auto related. The tuner did a great job on the tune (twice) and i dont think this problem can be addressed via tune.

MACE, could you elaborate on the line pressures? how can it be done and will this give firmer shifts? im very interested!

In the mean time heres a direct like to a video of it happening around 3500rpm.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/121/qjr.mp4