Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual Override for Electric Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Something that frustrates me a little, it happened the other day and as a result my interior got wet and my wife was not very happy with me. Let me paint a picture, I had parked the car and left the wife and kids sitting there whilst I went into a shop. Due to habit, I took the keys with me, usually not a problem because you can user the radio without the keys. The windows were down and a freak shower went over, it wasn't a tiny shower either. The wife frantically searched around for a way to wind the windows up but there was nothing to be found. It would be nice if there was a way to activate the electric windows without the need to either lock and unlock the car or turn the ignition on. does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Now that's just bloody funny,

My only guess (after fitting a couple of cars with electric windows) would be to run the power off the mains wire and not the acc wire but just tracking the wires down and changing them could be a bit of a job, well may not I would just be careful doing it, that's all.

Another idea is to get a key cut for her, one of those ones that can't start the car but can unlock it (by putting the key in the door) and turn the electrics on & off there about $35 at a Mr Mint I think.

Hope this helps.

Windsurfing.....

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Now that's just bloody funny,

My only guess (after fitting a couple of cars with electric windows) would be to run the power off the mains wire and not the acc wire but just tracking the wires down and changing them could be a bit of a job, well may not I would just be careful doing it, that's all.

Another idea is to get a key cut for her, one of those ones that can't start the car but can unlock it (by putting the key in the door) and turn the electrics on & off there about $35 at a Mr Mint I think.

Hope this helps.

Windsurfing.....

Yeah thanks for that, however I am not about to start fiddling with the wires. I am also not gonna spend 35 bucks on something that may only be needed very occasionally.

You suggestion though has got me thinking, what if you just locked and then unlocked the doors using the actual door lock itself, would that be enough to reactivate the windows. I am off to try it, I will let you know what I find.

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
....what if you just locked and then unlocked the doors using the actual door lock itself, would that be enough to reactivate the windows.

No no joy, I tried locking and unlocking from both the passenger and drivers door but it made no difference, the windows are locked out until the fob is used.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
agree with above. find the wire that goes from ignition and replace it with a 12 volt power line instead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
I did not think $35 for a spare key was to bad to tell you the truth, great if you have locked your keys in the car or something like that.

Windsurfing.....

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I know what you mean Oakey, this has always been my main gripe with power windows. :bang:

The fact that you can set them to keep operating with the key out until you open the door makes them a bit better these days, but they can still be a real pain in the ass.

I dunno what other car makes are like, but you'd think that Holden could've easily addressed this issue...

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
its just a power saving thing. no point leaving power to the module, and to all the lights in the switches constantly. it will just run the battery down faster. thats why they give you the minute or so after you turn the ignition off. you can always rewire it yourself. it wouldnt be too hard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey there mate,

My girlfriend says why don't you leave the keys with your wife????

Windsurfing.....

sand_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 SIII Monaro CV8
The windows are activated as soon as I open the drivers door of my 04 Monaro. Is it not the same with the Commodore?

Status
Not open for further replies.