Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual regrets?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Hey w375
How lumpy is that cam? Do you have any of what the cam profile/spec is? Gonna put w375 on my director, but for another 3k or so I may as well go W407
Did yours get dynoed? What did it do?

I saw on some tuner's facebook page where they dynoed a wagon with the W407 pack they just installed. it showed 303rwkw

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
I saw on some tuner's facebook page where they dynoed a wagon with the W407 pack they just installed. it showed 303rwkw
The auto loses about 30% thru the driveline so that figure sounds about right : the manual loses about 20% so probably closer to 320 rwkws for the manual

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
407 flywheel kw should translate to more than 302rwkw in a non HSV Commodore. Either the dyno is showing low, or Walkinshaw are being a bit optimistic with the 407kw figure

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
407 flywheel kw should translate to more than 302rwkw in a non HSV Commodore. Either the dyno is showing low, or Walkinshaw are being a bit optimistic with the 407kw figure
Aftermarket tuner putting a name on their kit which everyone assumes is the power figure but which is just a randomly chosen number?
Never!

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Zero regrets going manual and I have a fairly big cam (230's) putting down 330rwkw from my L77. I don't drive heavy traffic much though - I'm usually to work before and out of work after peak hours.

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Hey w375
How lumpy is that cam? Do you have any of what the cam profile/spec is? Gonna put w375 on my director, but for another 3k or so I may as well go W407
Did yours get dynoed? What did it do?

May I ask why you are considering W375 or W407 from a dealership? Are those pacakages RRP significantly reduced from whichever dealership your are procuring your vehicle from?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I say it again, modern day manual cars are just so easy to drive so if you’d rather have more involvement with the car don’t be frightened by them.

My manual Redline is a breeze to drive.

I have a cam with a custom grind in the 230 area with a 613/605 lift and an LSA of 112 in a manual HSV and I also don’t have any problems with it.

I’ve had the head bolts, gaskets, retainers, lifters, pushrods, valve springs all swapped out plus the heads ported and I consider it to be a medium cam or maybe a big small cam but nothing special in the size department.

It’s definitely noticeable lumpy but not a 106/108 killer.

All that work with a tune cost me roughly 5 grand producing about 320kW at the treads.

I’m happy to drive it in traffic compared to my LX Torana and XY Falcon that are both backed by a Toploader, now there is some serious punishment for the left leg and arm when doing a lot of stop start driving and the 351 in the Falcon is very choppy without the help of an engine management system just to throw some additional fun into the mix, so anyone who worries about modern manuals doesn’t know how good they’ve got it.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
May I ask why you are considering W375 or W407 from a dealership? Are those pacakages RRP significantly reduced from whichever dealership your are procuring your vehicle from?
Sure, no reduction in cost from the dealership, dealer price is the rrp, same as going to the Walky dealer, except the dealer doesn't get the w375 tuned, just flash tunes them.the main reason is im doing a novated lease on the vehicle, and i can get the cost of the pack on the lease, the saving of not paying gst on a novated lease is almost paying for the pack rather having to stump up that cash out of my pocket. It's about 10k for the w407, i know if I went straight to my tuner to get it done and use dpe or harrop gear it will be cheaper than walkinstick, prolly 2-3 k cheaper as I've been down this road before with my VE. Going a harrop pack could be an option 2 but I don't hear good things about the harrop dealer in SA, I know the walky dealer well and what he forgets about LS engines is more than what most people know about them

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Sure, no reduction in cost from the dealership, dealer price is the rrp, same as going to the Walky dealer, except the dealer doesn't get the w375 tuned, just flash tunes them.the main reason is im doing a novated lease on the vehicle, and i can get the cost of the pack on the lease, the saving of not paying gst on a novated lease is almost paying for the pack rather having to stump up that cash out of my pocket. It's about 10k for the w407, i know if I went straight to my tuner to get it done and use dpe or harrop gear it will be cheaper than walkinstick, prolly 2-3 k cheaper as I've been down this road before with my VE. Going a harrop pack could be an option 2 but I don't hear good things about the harrop dealer in SA, I know the walky dealer well and what he forgets about LS engines is more than what most people know about them

Thanks for reply - sounds like you have a good plan rockin' If you remember / have time let us know about the W407 pack when you get it, I am sure other users of the forum would appreciate a report / video

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Thanks for reply - sounds like you have a good plan rockin' If you remember / have time let us know about the W407 pack when you get it, I am sure other users of the forum would appreciate a report / video
I'm keen to see what the cam profile is like in the W407, haven't seen or heard one yet, I'm got a vcm21 in my l77 ve which sounds awesome and isn't too hard to live with, hopefully it's the same if not better