Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

manual vx problem

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
gday, Today noticed that in my s pack vx manual that it was becoming hard to put into gear or go into any gear for that matter. It wouldent crunch or anything but when trying to chnage gears or going from netural to 1st for example it would be extremly hard to put into geat it just wouldent slip in like it normally does . What could be the problem?

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
its got a fairly new clutch kit in it. only about 2000kms old. My clutch fluid is black and assuming its the orignal fluid from factory would this have any effect on anything?

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
ok Iv now know that its my clutch that is always staying abit engauged even when the clutch is put all the way to the floor this is why it wont select gears properly. This is very apparent when the car is in 1st gear with clutch in it creep forwald and also when driving if I put my foot on the clutch the engine revs dont drop back to idle they just stay the same. I'v bled my clutch line and the probelm is still there. I think I may have bent the shift fork,or my master/slave cylinder is not functioning properly anyway way to check this?, I do have a heavy duty clutch in it and have abused it afew times. anyhelp asap would be great becuase atm im going to be pulling the gearbox out tomrow night need my car for work on monday driviable

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais
sounds like u need a new gear box how many k's has it done and do drive it like theres no tomorow or do u look after it coz sounds like ur gearbox is stuffed

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
It is possible to adjust the position of the clutch pedal from inside the car. Try this as my clutch started slipping and I discovered that the clutch pedal needed to be adjusted.

Simonn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack m5
the car shifts gears when the engine is off so that pretty much rules out the gearbox being stuffed, The car has done 110,00kms so not much. I will admit I do abuse it from time to time but nothing to the extreme. Been doing some reaserch on google and have pretty much pinpointed it to either being a bent shift fork or stuffed master/slave cylinder. Anyway know how I can test to see if it is acually my slave/master cylinder? My car has has a sligh squeak when the clutch pedal is pushed down ever since I brough it. Also the clutch fluid level is not dropping at all if this helps. probly should have also mentioned that iv had a slightly sticky clutch pedal on a few occasions also
thankyou

Last edited:

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
It is possible to adjust the position of the clutch pedal from inside the car. Try this as my clutch started slipping and I discovered that the clutch pedal needed to be adjusted.
How do you do this? My bite point is really high and I'd like to lower it slightly.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I think I have the same problem, though not as bad as yours.
I have recently replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders, so it rules out that for me and I'd say you as well. Remember the principle of hydraulics - they can not be compressed. Metals can be bent, so I'd say that it could well be a bent shift fork.

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
How do you do this? My bite point is really high and I'd like to lower it slightly.

There is a threaded rod that screws into the plunger for the master cylinder from the clutch pedal. There is a lock nut that needs to be loosened and the plunger nut can be rotated to move the clutch pedal in and out. Make sure to tighten the lock nut as the pedal will eventually creep up again.
There should be no need to take the rod off the clutch pedal but if it needs to be done the clip needs to be prised sideways after lifting the catch. You will understand once you get it off and it can be a bugger if you have never done it before.