Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Manual VY V6 Shakes on startup and under load at lower rpm

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Hi guys, I bought a VY SII V6 with a factory getrag manual and when the car starts the whole thing seems to shake a bit. When the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is out there is a rattling sound coming from the gearbox and it can be felt through the clutch pedal. When it is depressed however the noise and feeling is gone. Upon takeoff the clutch still feels rattly and second gear takeoff doesn't work at all since the car just jumps a bit and stalls eventually. Higher gears at low-ish RPM all seem to make the car jerk when I put my foot down. I'm hoping it's all a clutch based problem and I have a gut feeling that the pressure plate isn't pushing as it should so I have a new Exedy clutch kit ready to go in. I'm hoping that the flywheel is fine though because DMF isn't the cheapest thing. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what it might be? Cheers :beer chug:

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
The work car used to make a noise from gear box/ back of the car when the clutch was out.... Had it checked by work mechanic and it was the thrust bearing...
Not sure if that helps or not

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
The noise sounds like it could be thrust bearing, the jerking part i haven't really seen with trust bearing as in when the clutch isn't depressed down.
Usually when clutches go they slip and the car revs when heavy take off.
Having said that it does sound like its all clutch related, make shore you clean the flywheel while fitting your new clutch-pressure plate.
If its not scored or badly marked (in which you would have to resurface it) i have used a rotory orbital sander with fine paper to take the burn marks off the surface before.
Check for cracks etc in the flywheel as well,if the clutch has been slipping a lot of heat could have been transfered into it