Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Max Tyre Width?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
SS-657 - OnlineTires.com

$62... Don't know what freight is going to be though. But thats cheep... Just have no idea about tyre brands >.<

edit:
Estimated Shipping Rates For This Product To: 2350
(4) 225/60-15 FEDERAL SS-657 96H BSW
Price: $246.52 for 4

On Site Pickup - $0.00

Almost cost more for shipping then the tyres x.X

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The difference between 205 and 225 is a whopping 2 cms. The price difference between the two does not warrant putting the wider tires on. To be honest I ran 205's on my interceptor rims and was more then happy with it less sidewall bulge etc. I would be cautious about purchasing tires online because the tire shop you take them to get fitted won't be too pleased as you can imagine and might end up more expensive for fitment and what not. I had Triangles which I had fitted and balanced for $75 each.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats the thing though. I'm not happy with it on there. And every time I look at it it makes me sad. And I can feel the difference in the tyres :( Its not nice

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I call bs on you feeling 2 cm's of difference. What you want is less sidewall bulge at the end of the day which the 205's have. Believe me or don't believe me any tire shop not just chasing your money will tell you your wasting your time spending more money on 225's on a 7 inch rim.

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't want less sidewall bulge, I want more. Don't want gay looking skinny tires on my car, I want fatter tyres on them. And the difference of two CM can be quite allot, especially when its the dynamic of a tyre. 205/65 is going to warp more then 225/60. Is the difference going to be massive? no, noticeable: definitely. Otherwise tyre ratings would pretty much be pointless.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wait hang on your saying 205 will warp more. You don't want sidewall bulge. I suggest you do some research mate.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Warp, as in move/buckle under pressure. Its a thinner longer tyre, or course its going to buckle more then a shorter fatter tyre, that's just basic physics.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Warp, as in move/buckle under pressure. Its a thinner longer tyre, or course its going to buckle more then a shorter fatter tyre, that's just basic physics.

I really hope one of the sponsors who sells tyres will set you straight. It's basic maths a 7 inch rim is 177.8mm across. A 225 is obvious 20 millimetres bigger then 205. Do you see Ferraris and such with massive bulging sidewalls? No you do not. Do you know why? It's because the less sidewall bulge you have the less flex you have which in turn makes for more control.

Reaction score
Members Ride
You are going to have more control with 225/60r15's then 205/65r15's, More grip, better handling.

But thanks for your input! It's very much appreciated!

And lol @ the comment with Fezzas: they have low profile wheels...

eurp_0908_04_z+ferrari_458_italia+wheel.jpg

Please explain where tire bulge could possibly exist? But don't explain it to me, explain it to yourself

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK this is my last post because you have no clue and are as stubborn as a mule. In the ideal situation you don't want side wall bulge at all. I never said Ferrari has side wall bulge. 2cm's will make bugger all difference on the street and the trade off is the sidewalls will be less stiff and the tire will move more as your corner. I honestly don't know how I can put it any easier for you to understand.