Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maxxis Tyres: just bad or is there something wrong with mine?

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, VF SS-V Redline
I bought a set of 235/45/17 Maxxis MA-V1 tyres for my VY S in October last year after reading good things about them on here and other sites, but ever since I got them, they haven't felt right. I have now done 7000 - 8000 Ks on them.

I have taken the car back to the tyre place several times, and they have come to the conclusion that the tread blocks aren't very stiff and so there is some sideways movement because of that, but that there is nothing wrong with them and that is just how they are.

The problems I have had with the tyres are:

• On the highway, the car doesn't stay in a straight line, but moves all over the place (it feels like the car is being blown around in the wind, but there is no wind). And the car steers mainly to the left, but sometimes to the right. In general, it is just annoying to put up with.
  • At 80 Km/h and over, steering rensponsiveness is poor. If I wobble the steering wheel a bit, the car doesn't respond until I stop wobbling the wheel, and then I feel it.

At first I thought it was a problem with the suspension, that maybe the bushes needed replacing, but both the tyre place and my mechanic said that the suspension is all good. And I temporarily swapped my 17 inch wheels and the tyres with some 16 inch wheels with bridgestone tyres to compare them, and could feel the difference straight away.

So I am just wondering if anyone else who has these tyres can tell me if they have experienced anything similar, and if you think this is normal for cheaper tyres, or if you think that there is something wrong with mine. I know you get what you pay for, but I feel ripped off.

Thanks

Ben

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
maybe get save up and get some new tyres, and get rid of the maxxis tyres..or u could use them for burnout tyres lol

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I know the feeling you're talking about some tyres are indeed, just like that with spongey tread and a tread pattern that moves around a bit I don't think it affects the performance fo the tyre it just feels different to what you are used to

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore
sound like there only good for skiddddz mate. never buy cheap tyres you only save a few bucks and you get something alot shiter for the money, i learnt when i got bob jane not so rounders.

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Questions:

Did you have a wheel alignment when the tyres were fitted? (if you did then this is possibly what caused the problem)
Have you had a wheel alignment since the problem started? (If so, did they give you a print out?)

From the problems you've described (pulls left & right - steering is vague) it sounds like the front end is toe'd out instead of toe'd in.

If the car pulled left only or right only I would suggest swapping the position of the front tyres (left-right swap). This would tell you if it is indeed a tyre problem. Then again, you've said that you fitted different wheels & tyres and it helped so it may indeed be the tyres.

ispeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator Signature
I have the same on my Senator with none of the problems you describe - I've done about 5000 km on mine so far. 1500 km of that in 1 round trip with no worries at all.
You've probably checked the obvious, but doesn't hurt to mention - the rotation arrows are pointing the correct way? - if not you will get that 'vague steering' feeling.
All same pressures?
I'd be getting my wheel alignment checked if I were you.

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, VF SS-V Redline
Questions:

Did you have a wheel alignment when the tyres were fitted? (if you did then this is possibly what caused the problem)
Have you had a wheel alignment since the problem started? (If so, did they give you a print out?)

No, I didn't have a wheel alignment when I got them, but they have checked the alignment twice since then, and both times said everyone was ok. I do have the two print outs which to me look ok, although slightly different between the two, but I'm no expert. It looks like they made some slight adjustments to make sure everything was spot on.

I have the same on my Senator with none of the problems you describe - I've done about 5000 km on mine so far. 1500 km of that in 1 round trip with no worries at all.
You've probably checked the obvious, but doesn't hurt to mention - the rotation arrows are pointing the correct way? - if not you will get that 'vague steering' feeling.
All same pressures?
I'd be getting my wheel alignment checked if I were you.

Yes, they're all rotating the right way. And the pressures are all the same, and have been varied between 36 - 40, with no difference in terms of the problems.

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
try another 5-10 psi in them not all tyres r the same and c if that makes an inprovement! if your suspension and wheel allignment is a1 and nothing helps u may just have a **** set of tyres!

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
They are a crap tire. Had them on a WHII Statesman... from day one they rode badly, were quiet noise, felt spongy and didnt provide very good traction and wore out pretty quickly. Cars actually in the shop today getting a set of Potenza RE040s fitted (on special for $295 each which is a big drop from the normal price of $555). Running the Re040s on my VX SS and they've been pretty good.

When pushing really hard though, they do get a bit warm and slippery... Although i probably need to get myself a decent set of semi slick track day tires.