Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Me and my Carb

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey all

Well i have a carb problem its something ive done in the past and i know what it is but now i just cant get it right again.

Okay my timing is perect 6 deg, but when i start my engine on first go the auto choke kicks in and does its thing, though i touch the pedal once and she dies and cant idle properly, shes trys but can't... I've even replace the accelrator cable, any tighty on the cable and itll be holding the throttle abit.

It's like my idle screw isnt connecting with the high idle cam piece on the side of the carb after each push of the pedal.

I've heard the mixer screw can be done by listing when shes dies on turns etc.. but what if she doesnt die and i could turn that screw in and out and still the same idle? Thats what its like.

Mty rides due in for insepction nextweek and i cant even get her to idle right :(

Any help would be great.. maybe default settings for the carb screws?

ps. i have headers

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Others changes ive made

Topgun 8mm leads in exchange for new bosch leads which are shorter.

Disconnected the aircon plunger

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Ok I guess your talkng about a Varajet II carb, there are several idle adjustments on the varajet

When the choke coil is cold, ensure the fast idle screw is on the second highest step of the cam. Now check the choke valve in the top of the carb there should be around a 2mm gap beteer the body of the carb & the butterfly. To adjust this bend the choke linkage arm, if oyu have fiddled with the idle adjust screw you will need to reset it back to factory then bend the choke arm to adjust.

Now have the engine at normal running temp, and that the choke is fully open. Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted correctly, car is in neutral or park, aircon off. Now adjust the idle using the 2 idle screws the top one is an air bleed and the botton is a fuel rate. For a starting point adjust top screw (air bleed)screw it in untill seated then back it out 2 full turns. Next scre the fuel rate screw in then back it out 3 full turns. Fine tune from there.

Fast idle can be adjusted by having the idle adjust screw on the lowest step on the idle cam, check the idle speed & adjust it accordingly.

cheers
Scott

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Yeah mate is a Varajet 2 carb, cheers anyway ill give this a go :)

When u say 2nd highest step do u mean its at the mark were number 2 is printed on the cam ?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Okay i know of the fast idle and mixture screw which would be fuel?

One of the screws as said above i cant find.. its the only thing holding me back atm.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Nevermind i found a diagram :D

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Is there a certin way to bend the choke arm?

Atm i got the mixture screw set a 3 turns

The idle screw when it sits on the lowest cam its set at 1200rpm for N/P
850 rpm when in gear

MY issue is atm its in N 1200rpm, i push the pedal once and it dies. I think i may have to bend the choke arm?

EDIT** The idles fine until the screw leaves the idle cam after a touch of the pedal. "idle cam go's up, screw comes back and has nothing to keep the revs up"

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Well overall so far it looks like my cars anti rev while in N...

I'm going to take it for a tiny test drive today to see if it cuts out when i push the pedal down during drive.

If my fast idle screw had something to come back to after a push of the pedal while in N i'd be 100% good.