Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mechanics ripping off girls...

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I've had the opposite happen, was for a part though, not actual work.

Mrs rang a well known commodore shop about a door mirror for my old VR and got quoted one price, then I went in to buy it but didn't mention the phone call and it was $10 dearer. Until I asked him what the go was...Must have liked my mrs voice or something :p

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I go into a mechanics and ask them whats wrong with my car. I give them a minimum of information and let them go from there.

If what they are suggesting makes sense to me, then they get the job. I may be no expert but I know enough to know if something seems right or not.

If I dont understand what they are telling me, or I know little about cars, I think I would go to more than one mechanic, telling them as little as possible, and seeing what they all come up with. If they all agree, then you can be sure its probably correct.

Go into a workshop with a noisy tappet and tell him your engine is dying you need a new one, he will quote and fit a new one. Go in and say what the hell is that noise, and he will tell you its a tappet and it will cost X dollars to fix.

Its just stupid to go and ask a pro whats wrong with your car whilst telling him. If you already know, dont ask. If you're sure its a tappet.. just tell him to fix the tappets, dont ask him anything. If you arent sure, shut up and ask him what he thinks the noise is.

If you genuinely have any mechanical knowledge, you'll be able to figure out if his opinion is plausible.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
I'm pretty sure my missus has bigger balls then i do, not many people fudge with her. Although when we went to buy the ute she called up and i tagged along for the ride. We turn up and the sales guy had gone home despite the appointment she had made, on top of that they didn't have the model we were after. So we had to pace around the back of the sales yard looking for something similar. We found it after ten odd minutes and they couldn't open it, no keys apparently. They did have one in their other yard across the road but it was locked up. I kinda feel sorry for the guy that had to cover for the other git, i was raging big time. They promised to throw in tinting and a ful tank of petrol, but still wouldn't have the ute in for another week. We ended up going to another dealership and had the paperwork signed and the ute within five working days.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
It's normal but it's not just ripping off girls.

Shop around and get a few prices. I had my VS lowered with a full wheel alignment for $400 including the cost of springs.

But to put it in perspective I rang two places to get quotes on fitting extractors, one place quoted $350, other place $150. I rang the $350 place back as it was closer and asked them what $350 entailed, said a couple of hours work to fit them and that's it, so I said I got quoted $150 from another shop, price match or I'm going there. He refused, so he lost the job. Bad luck.

People always try and rip you off, so if you don't have a good mechanical or price range knowledge, shop around, or do your homework so at least you have peace of mind that your car is in good hands and you're not paying for a long time loving all weekend and only ending up getting a handjob on the front doorstep.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I find the opposite on small things. I send the gf down and they often do it for free. Got all 4 wheels balanced for free the other day.

But I find as above if you know what your talking about they don't take you for such a ride. Dropping your car at the mechanic to 'fix' a problem is like writing a blank cheque.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
my mums mechanic does it too her all the time

but she 'trusts him and doesnt want to go anywhere else'

its absoloute bullshit and she wont listen too me

lol

Kaitlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Well see, I was only calling up to get front spring put in and a wheel alignment. He told me that he had to put the back in (which my boyfriend can do for free!). I knew the price was way too much as my partner has had fronts put in for $80 and no way is a wheel alignment $320!! I now have to go to two places. One to get the springs in and another for the alignment. I don't mind though as I am saving a bucket load.

But this has happened multiple times. Once when I wanted my spoiler removed, holes welded up and a boot respray. This dodgy guy quoted me $550 just to have the spoiler removed and the holes plugged!!! Went somewhere else and was quoted $600 for the whole lot. I might be a little young lady but I definitely am not about to be taken for a ride. And don't get me wrong, I have had a couple of tiny little things done for free. But when i have been given an absurd price for something that I know shouldn't cost that much, I get a little bit angry.

Also don't know how to quote people but yes the place beginning with 'p' was the culprit. But I thought they'd be good because they've done work to my partners clubsport for a reasonable price.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Ahhh, yet another mechanic bashing thread, here we go again. If you all know so much or think you're getting ripped blind, why don't you do it yourself?

On the other hand, i love customers that "self diagnose", that makes my day :p

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I could say the almost same thing about holdens IMO.

That doesnt make any sense.

Holdens dont let girls drive them?

When I take my car anywhere, they see my Burson badge hanging from the mirror and all of a sudden **** is about half the price :p