Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mid life project car

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit of advice though, don't go pouring money into a V6 unless you want to go all in, like I have pretty much done. I'm in too far now to turn back, You can easily spend $3-$4k or more on the V6 just to get it to a 140-145kw engine. You can dump a dirty big turbo on a V6 but they are expensive and engine might not last long given the mileage most Eco's have on them now.
Stock V8, with stock tune puts out about 140kw. Not sure what figures an L67 gets but smaller pulley and Mace CAI are the first and easiest mods to get more HP.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Don't be afraid to spend more for one with no problems and straight panels.
Ie try find a genuine straight tailgate, very hard and expensive at times.

Do a good inspection, Listen for any noises and so on.

You may find that the 5L and definitely Manuals are alot harder to find.

Just also look for any general damage or wear and tear, especially as the odometer cog may have broken and as such the kms on the car may be different to what it has actually driven over the years.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with above, straight panels and good paint is something to try and find. Unless you can do your own panel and paint, a paint job starts at around $8k-$9k and goes up from there. Stripping back and fixing dents can easily add and $5k - $6k.

Moccha

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Hello all, first time poster, new member.

I've been thinking and waiting for a while and the time has finally come for me to just dive in and do it. The finances and time I can finally afford. I'm interested in a vs ute. Would like any advice or pointers wether or not the vs is a good model to tinker with or if it has any issues that make it difficult or unique? Im a newbie with project cars, I come from a trade background pretty handy but not much mechanical experience. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Picked up a v6 recently with the same idea some minor mechanical issues and paint fade The bench seat set up with no height adjustment is a is a real pain

Moccha

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Picked up a 98vs recently no panel damage no rust some paint fade has bench seat with no driver seat adjustment or steering column adjustment which makes driving a little uncomfortable

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I bought cheap one knowing it was trashed...no hidden surprises when it already had every problem issue they get it had haha
Only good things about it was minimal rust & now rarely seen ugly duckling vp ute.

But yeah if you can try to find best starting point if possible & if it's a v8 that you want get a v8.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Picked up a 98vs recently no panel damage no rust some paint fade has bench seat with no driver seat adjustment or steering column adjustment which makes driving a little uncomfortable
You can fit a Stato drivers seat, then you get the adjustment. Not sure if it's possible to fit wagon or sedan adjustable column. I have an adjustable column from my donor but haven't even thought about trying to make it fit. Although I think it would be a challenge with the column shift.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah all that can be changed over with normal model cars.

Or just just seats if you can find a non-rocking drivers seat,very annoying.

Enjoy jamming hand down between seat & door to put handbrake down...probably should have left mine a benchie but wanted more weight out of it.

I ended getting parts off Losh posted from Tassie just to avoid more trips to pick n payless

Moccha

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute
Just having seat adjustment would be bonus haven't been able to find a lot info on seat replacement thanks for the info

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Enjoy jamming hand down between seat & door to put handbrake down...probably should have left mine a benchie but wanted more weight out of it.

Only an issue if you have drivers door pocket. I have a Stato drivers door trims and it's slightly annoying but I can live with it if it means having trick door cards, with courtesy lights.