Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mild L77 AFM compatible crow cam

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
G'day guys, I've searched but wasn't able to find out much detail about AFM compatible performance cams.

Been speaking to crow about the following-

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/products/crow-cams-ls-v8-afm-camshaft-871afm3bg-suit-l76-l77/
https://www.crowcams.com.au/ShopbyProduct/tabid/92/ProdID/17089/Default.aspx

First link shows 220/230 115LSA 0.050 duration 1800 - 6000 rev range.

Any AFM guys here actually upgraded to an AFM performance cam whilst obviously retaining the factory AFM hardware? From what I gather this crow cam will be quite mildish but that's fine for me as it's a daily driver/kids etc.....

Background is my AFM lifters were all replaced 40000 kms ago with the revised AFM lifter part numbers so it would be a bit of a waste of money to go and rip it all out and go the complete DOD delete, and was therefore wondering if this AFM compatible cam would be a good compromise to get a few more ponies and a hint of idle. Crow state that single valve springs can be retained (yay/nay?).

Cheers, Mr Bit

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
G'day guys, I've searched but wasn't able to find out much detail about AFM compatible performance cams.

Been speaking to crow about the following-

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/products/crow-cams-ls-v8-afm-camshaft-871afm3bg-suit-l76-l77/
https://www.crowcams.com.au/ShopbyProduct/tabid/92/ProdID/17089/Default.aspx

First link shows 220/230 115LSA 0.050 duration 1800 - 6000 rev range.

Any AFM guys here actually upgraded to an AFM performance cam whilst obviously retaining the factory AFM hardware? From what I gather this crow cam will be quite mildish but that's fine for me as it's a daily driver/kids etc.....

Background is my AFM lifters were all replaced 40000 kms ago with the revised AFM lifter part numbers so it would be a bit of a waste of money to go and rip it all out and go the complete DOD delete, and was therefore wondering if this AFM compatible cam would be a good compromise to get a few more ponies and a hint of idle. Crow state that single valve springs can be retained (yay/nay?).

Cheers, Mr Bit
Couldn't find valve lift specs on that cam? Usually it's the added lift that stresses OEM springs...

All L77's had the revised lifters fitted after the problems with the Delphi lifters in the L76's.

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
I'll find out lift from crow now and report back.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What transmission

If you running a auto some cams will require a different torque converter

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
Yeah she's auto. I'm assuming at this stage stock converter can be retained but will find out.

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
Done some more searching, Milo 6.0 has made some references to this crow AFM cam a few times. Looks like the jury could still be out as to whether it's a waste of time with the L77.

Mr Bit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf SS
Yeah very little in the forums. Crow also suggested the tuner will need to know what he's doing with this type of cam.

Here's the official word from crow-

'Yes, this is our only AFM compatible cam available.

We don’t sell many of them as the tuner needs to be on the ball and know what they’re doing when working on these – we don’t widely advertise them for this reason.

Specs are little different usually meeting around 225/230 @0.050 – that rev range is accurate and for use with factory valve springs only'

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yeah she's auto. I'm assuming at this stage stock converter can be retained but will find out.
There's a little bit of information that will be required to pick the correct converter

Cam, final drive, torque, wheel diameter and some other "stuff" is needed

I recommend contacting a well known transmission shop to aid in the correct converter choice

I use and recommend "Craigs Automatics" , but, they are in Chipping Norton in Sydney

https://www.craigsautos.com.au/automatic-transmission/performance-cars/

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Here is a couple of copy and pastes from the crow catalogue that describes this cam better. Seems like a good choice for a budget conscious increase in power. They recommend replacing the lifter trays. That's a head off job so might as well do the DOD delete whilst you're there. I'm guessing you won't be replacing the lifter trays.

Curious as to why they say the tuner needs to be on to it?

Performance Cam for V8 AFM (Active Fuel Management) Engines. Expected performance increase of 15%. For use with Factory Valve Springs only. Will have a noticeable idle.

RPM Range
1800 - 6000

This cam is a performance replacement cam for AFM engines. It retains AFM lifters and AFM program but requires tuning to match performance specification. Supplied with 3 Bolt Conversion Gear & ARP Cam Bolts(134-1003). Uses factory Valve Springs Camshaft specifications at .050" Duration: Intake Mid 220. Exhaust Low 230. 115LSA. We recommend replacing lifter guides when fitting this camshaft.