Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mileage from the V6

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
people people people. Crappy fuel economy can be contributed to the following, in sort of this order. FUEL FILTER EVERY 30K. Air Filter every 15k. spark plugs (Iridium) 20 bucks each every 100k. Spark plug leads Holden ones are numbered, every 12months. Oxygen sensor every 80k. Also the throttle position sensor can sometimes go causing crappy economy. People mention about there tanks and gauges being faulty. remember that it shows 0 to empty when there is still 5-7.5 litres in the tank for reserve. my 75 litre tank says 0 to empty when i fuel up and i can only put 65-67 litres in it. Change your oil and filter religiously at 5k km intervals. winter is coming so use GTX3. Summer use GTX2. Always choose oil for the driving conditions to come. Not gone. never use a cooper filter. i use holden filters. Always use Holden coolant too at 50/50 with distilled water. remember to bleed system from thermostat housing.

ahmedomnnea

Ahmed.Iraq
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Excutive, 3.8 V6/A4
Help Please !!!

Please I need help, my 2002 vx gets only 230 kms from a full tank, and I drive smoothly my tacho does not exceed 2000 rpm when shifting, I tried almost every thing, checked the MAF, MAP, Oxygen sensors, fuel pump and filter, engine oil and filter, Gear box oil changed but its the same, crappy fuel economy, so please help !!!!

JuzAndBec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina 3.8
Wow - 230Kays. What about the ECU itself rather than the sensors; or perhaps injectors need cleaning?
My totally neglected VX V6 gets 650kays from 65l of either 91 or E10 95 with mixed driving ( stop start peak hour, some freeway, some booting it ) Once I had it at 770 kays and put in 75L which is wierd because that is the tank capacity and it hadn't started stuttering.

gunk81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
When the tank is "empty" how many litres do you have to put in before it's full again?

When my VT showed empty I could get another 100kms out of it and still not run out of fuel however after running it that low too many times the gauge adjusted itself and then one day I ran out when the needle was barely on the empty line.

Also, are you looking at your distance to empty to find out how much you are using or the odo?

If you are putting less than 60L when it shows empty, go to an auto elelctrician/garage/holden dealer, basically anyone that has a scan tool, and get them to calibrate your gauge.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Wow - 230Kays. What about the ECU itself rather than the sensors; or perhaps injectors need cleaning?
My totally neglected VX V6 gets 650kays from 65l of either 91 or E10 95 with mixed driving ( stop start peak hour, some freeway, some booting it ) Once I had it at 770 kays and put in 75L which is wierd because that is the tank capacity and it hadn't started stuttering.

Not all petrol stations have accurate pumps (ie you got ripped) :p

JuzAndBec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina 3.8
The handbook says the tank in the VX Series 1 is 75l

If you are right greenfoam, then there are 20+ petrol stations between Melbourne and Portsea that are ripping me off - I use any station on a Wednesday to fill, not the same one, mostly E10 but also anything from RON91 to RON100 if it's payday. Also, if the trip computer says I've used xx liters then the pump clicks off at the equivalent xx liters every time, + or - a few hundred ml. I don't think there are any smoke and mirrors here.

ahmedomnnea

Ahmed.Iraq
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Excutive, 3.8 V6/A4
thanks for the replys, I fill up usually 60 ltrs. but the wiered part is, the distance to empty shows 580 km when it is filled up, but it need to refill when my trip shows 230 kms, could it be the ECU, my be it needs to be retuned, by the way I just noticed some fuel evaporation from the fuel cap, do you know a logical reason for that ???
Please help!!!!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I use the trip meter to count how many KMs I do every time I fill up. I try to always put a full tank in.

The last tank gave me 12L/100km. I generally get between 11.5 - 12.5. I think that was 519km in 63 litres.

Once it's converted to manual though, I'm hoping that'll drop to 10.5-11.5 going by the figures I've seen.

I've only really been using the E10 from BP for a while, I've had problems with the Shell servos around here having rubbish fuel. Actually, the last couple of tanks have been with United's 95 octane fuel which goes for the same price as standard E10, still getting the same sort of mileage as regular unleaded but for cheaper.

You shouldn't trust your fuel guage or distance to empty... Keep an eye on them, but don't assume they're 100% accurate because they definitely are not! Use the trip meter to guage how many KMs you're doing (try and fill up before your DTE drops below 100km). In a 75L tank, you would want to fill up when you reckon you've used about 56 litres, so so - 500kms or under. Basically, fill up while there's more than 1/4 left in the tank.

This is a safe practise I was taught to prevent damage to fuel pumps.