Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spool best brands

ward

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Hello just wondering what the best brands people are using out there to suit vn to vs v8 diff.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
From my knowledge, a minispool is basically just a big lump of metal with holes in it.

So all the same-same i think.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yep.. I bought mine on eBay for $80, I wouldn't go spending big cash if there is a brand-name option.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
cigweld or unimig :p

seriously though, just go for any. unless of course your building up a proper race car

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
cigweld or unimig :p

seriously though, just go for any. unless of course your building up a proper race car

In which case you'd be using a full spool, not a mini spool.

A mini spool is a mini spool, buy the cheapest one you can find.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
In which case you'd be using a full spool, not a mini spool.

A mini spool is a mini spool, buy the cheapest one you can find.

thanks Hatch.
just did a bit of research from that and learnt something new about the differences.

so would it make much of a difference if using a mini instead of a full for racing in a fairly standard vehicle?
just curious, thats all.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
The good thing about a full spool is there is nothing to break inside the centre (apart from the gear set). A mini spool is fine for the majority of (if not all) street cars, especially a 4 pin. I'd only use a full spool in a dedicated drag/burnout car where you're pushing big amounts of power (say 1000HP+) through the driveline where the cast iron hemisphere and/or pins used with a mini spool set up could give up.

Having said that, i wouldn't use a spool of any description in a car that sees street use. In most cases a good LSD will suffice, but a good locker (Detroit, Eaton True Trac etc.) is the ultimate street/track diff IMO. A mini spool really is just a glorified CIG locker, but still a tightarse way of getting power through both wheels for a street car.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The good thing about a full spool is there is nothing to break inside the centre (apart from the gear set). A mini spool is fine for the majority of (if not all) street cars, especially a 4 pin. I'd only use a full spool in a dedicated drag/burnout car where you're pushing big amounts of power (say 1000HP+) through the driveline where the cast iron hemisphere and/or pins used with a mini spool set up could give up.

Having said that, i wouldn't use a spool of any description in a car that sees street use. In most cases a good LSD will suffice, but a good locker (Detroit, Eaton True Trac etc.) is the ultimate street/track diff IMO.

legend mate.
thanks for the good info and what not.
good to learn/understand.

ward

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Putting in my vs clubby that not making huge amount of power at the moment going to use the car for mainly drag racing if it gets going again in tassie.

What's a mini rated to take?