Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spool question

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Personally you can't drive then. An LSD in the wet is the same as a spool, unless its in its open wheeler stages.

I'm not gonna argue with you stealthy, because i know it's a waste of time. I'm just waiting for the day you get defected and/or **** up and stack. :D

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'm not gonna argue with you stealthy, because i know it's a waste of time. I'm just waiting for the day you get defected and/or **** up and stack. :D

The car has been through regency (we don't have RWC, regency is where our cars get inspected) twice with the spool, and a mates SS went through 3 times. Going by that theory, they must be legal is our transport authority didn't see a problem ;)

The day i **** up and stack, is the day i hand in my license and stop driving

cracker

Reaction score

iv had mine for over a year got it 3months after getting my p's i have never crashed or lost it, theres no difference between and spool and an lsd in the wet, if u cant drive dont get either.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The car has been through regency (we don't have RWC, regency is where our cars get inspected) twice with the spool, and a mates SS went through 3 times. Going by that theory, they must be legal is our transport authority didn't see a problem ;)

The day i **** up and stack, is the day i hand in my license and stop driving

Second explanation, your transport authorities are incompetent. And as for ****ing up, happens to everyone sooner or later.

iv had mine for over a year got it 3months after getting my p's i have never crashed or lost it, theres no difference between and spool and an lsd in the wet, if u cant drive dont get either.

Believe what you like, I'm not the one with an unroadworthy vehicle and a bad attitude. :)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yes transport SA isnt the best.... BUT a minispool is no different to me having a kaaz... they are basically locked but they are deemed legal... i agree tho if you cant learn to handle the car with a minispool or LSD dont drive it with one...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Second explanation, your transport authorities are incompetent. And as for ****ing up, happens to everyone sooner or later.

Believe what you like, I'm not the one with an unroadworthy vehicle and a bad attitude. :)

Yeah, but deterioration of said skills usually doesn't happen until your in your 50s or 60s. I'm sure i'll be fine for a few years yet.

Spools are illegal, but they are not unsafe. Its just another case of over-legislation. Such as this, VPs without the valance are allowed to be 50mm lower, even tho this piece of plastic (nothing to do with the bodywork) is only 30mm. Just another way to screw more people over.

If it was unsafe, i wouldn't have it in my car. It is there to provide me with a 100% reliable car, in the way that i know how it drives, and no matter what happens, it will never perform differently.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ignore all the other twats here, it's an age old argument with stealthy on one side and lots on the other. you want a minispool to suit a 28spline BW 78 diff. should be around the $80-100 and if your half competent with spinning a spanner it should take a couple hrs to install.

if you haven't previously driven a spool before or an LSD ( in good condition) i suggest you take it to a "private" ;) car park or maybe a paddock somewhere and go have a play so that you get use to how it handles.

take it easy in the wet and have fun.

now for the disclaimer part.... spools are illegal. you can get defected for it and if you do stack it one day and the insurance company finds out they will use it as an excuse not to pay out on the claim. that covers the legal stuff ;)

let us know how you get on:whistling

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
i've had a spool for about a month and a half now, and as stealthy has written 100's (maybe 1000's of times) there is nothing wrong with them, everyone (mainly people who don't have a spool and never driven with one) imply that in the wet, if you touch the throttle with a feather, the car will spin out an wrap around the nearest pole. that's bull i actually have to put a reasonable amount of boot into it, in the wet before it kicks out. the wheel skipping is only bad on rough cement and bitumen, on normal smooth roads i don't even fell a shudder.

winton

black+manual+19's=sex
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs SS II 5speed vx gts 19's
i've had a spool for about a month and a half now, and as stealthy has written 100's (maybe 1000's of times) there is nothing wrong with them, everyone (mainly people who don't have a spool and never driven with one) imply that in the wet, if you touch the throttle with a feather, the car will spin out an wrap around the nearest pole. that's bull i actually have to put a reasonable amount of boot into it, in the wet before it kicks out. the wheel skipping is only bad on rough cement and bitumen, on normal smooth roads i don't even fell a shudder.

EXACTLY!!!!. i couldnt of worded it better my self. its only people who never driven with a spool critsizing them. there is nothing wrong with them

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
ignore all the other twats here, it's an age old argument with stealthy on one side and lots on the other. you want a minispool to suit a 28spline BW 78 diff. should be around the $80-100 and if your half competent with spinning a spanner it should take a couple hrs to install.

if you haven't previously driven a spool before or an LSD ( in good condition) i suggest you take it to a "private" ;) car park or maybe a paddock somewhere and go have a play so that you get use to how it handles.

take it easy in the wet and have fun.

now for the disclaimer part.... spools are illegal. you can get defected for it and if you do stack it one day and the insurance company finds out they will use it as an excuse not to pay out on the claim. that covers the legal stuff ;)

let us know how you get on:whistling

Somebody has to set everyone straight. I'm glad i was shown the way of the spool instead of wasting $1000s getting an LSD + more tightening it every time it wears out.

Like i said on the legal side of things, that doesn't phase me, as most of the things we do to our cars are illegal, such as new P platers not allowed to get better brakes, being classed as a performance upgrade. What a load of crap, making a car safer is illegal. But nothing can change the rules the government impose, but fact is, spools are not unsafe. The driver will always be the cause of an accident in a spooled car, not the spool.