Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini spools

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, VT s2 V8, super6. the standard V6 still stuck with the BW78. however i was replying to a post with reference to utes

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
didn't the utes also get shot peened gears too?

Benji99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive 2001 sedan
Spools and mini-spools do nothing to change the ratio what-so-ever. To change ratio then its a gear change.

Spools or mini-spools work by removing the guts of the diff (spider gears or the whole centre) replacing with the spool of choice. This removes the differental part of the system and fully locks the rear wheels together.
This means the rears turn the exat same amount all the time regardless of traction or turning.

The benifits are that there is no wanker single spinning or the LSD wearing out and going to **** a 1000 kays after a rebuild.
Downsides are that it will **** you later on when cornering as it will chatter and crab around corners.

I run a fully locked arse end in my ute pwith the standard 3.08 ratio as its a waste of time going taller. Sedans are not best suited for lockers as they are heavier in arse yet use weaker axles. The later utes however have moch stronger and thicker axels reduce chatter and breakages that are common with normal axels.
Hey mate i have an 01 vx sedan standard ratio diff question I’m asking is about the diff and downfall on having a mini spool in the long run not sure if mine has one or not but going around right corners it’s really chattery and as if the right wheel is bouncing I’ve had the whole ass end off the ground and spun the cv’s and both wheels turn almost identically just wondering if that could be from having a mini spool or swapped lsd insides cheers ben

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Could be a very tight LSD or similar after market locker type centre , less likely someone put in a minispool.