Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spools

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
hey walesy_5.0. Can u let me know step by step wat u did to put in ur minispool please? Thinkin i mita not undone somethin....
cheers

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
have you already started?? if yeh where you up to??

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
its been about a year since i last done one but here goes... jack the back of the car up as much as possible for good clearence, use chassis stands so the diff will drop all the way down but still leave the wheels off the ground,

take the wheels and brake drums off (assuming you have drums, if not someone here will be able to tell you how to remove discs if needed), undo the axels there will be a larger hole on the axel to get a socket and/or extention through, then i used a lever bar to pop the axel out, if they havnt been taken out before they are a real pain in the ass to get out...

once both axels are out take off the diff cover and drain oil. then there you will see 4 bolts, 2 on each side of the diff center with "U" shaped clamps, take note which way they go on so they go back on the right way,

then take the lever bar and wriggle the center out and make sure you keep the shims from both sides of the center, clean out the diff housing of old oil and make sure there are no metal shavings or anything in there.

mark the outer side of the diff center so when you pull it apart it lines back up where it should be, then undo the bolts around the center holding the center together and the ring gear on, these bolts should be left hand thread!! then carefully pry the two halves of the center apart, there will be a pin going through on one of the sides,keep this to go back in!,

once the center is apart you will see the "spider" gears and the bigger pin that holds them in, use a hammer and punch to knock the pin through, releseing the spider gears...clean out the center of any old oil/metal shavings,

put the spool into the center and put the bigger pin that held the spider gears back in and through the spool to secure it,

now its pretty much in reverse... but note: do not use a rattle gun to tighten center bolts up they will easily snap! use a tention wrench! and when putting the center back in its easiest to put center, bearing shims and spacer shims in all at once, it will take patience if you dont have a diff spreaded but will be much easier if you can get one, i used a plastic type hammer to tap the spacer shims back into place but its not recomended they will break easily!
Also replace the diff center cover gasket and for better measure use gasket glue to stop any leaks, hope this helps, if so click the scales :thumbsup:

if ive forgotten anything or someone has other tips go right ahead to correct me:thumbsup:

Walesy

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the reply! The part that im at is that i CANT get the freaken axles out!!! Me and a mate put the car (VN wagon) on stands, took both wheels off, brake calipers, handbrake system and the bearing retaining bolts. Then drained diff fluid, took the back cover off, took the bearing retainers off and left it like so. Followed ur advice and used the slide hammer idea that someone told me to remove the axles. Tried and tried and tried to remove one, then the other and again and again, but got no where..... :bang: so now its all back together coz i gota drive the car. So yeh... ur step-by-step will help me heaps when i get the axles out though ! :thumbsup:

walesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh as i said if the axels have never been out before that are a real pain in the ass but with some force and patience they will pop... good luck :thumbsup:

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
orite, well might try again sometime this week...even tried with two jacks :ranting: , still didnt work...shall keep youse updated :thumbsup:

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spinnin' Away!!!

well after getting angry from not being able to get the spool in last time, i though id give it another shot. Drove about 100km to mates house(thought may be warming it up might help) took the rotor off and reversed it, got the jack and strarted winding and then ' POP ' !!! :yeah: then oil strartin comin out the end the axle. haha wasnt expecting it 2 come off dat easily coz last time we had 2 jacks and it didnt budge. did the same on the other side and ' POP ' again ! :w00t: Took the back cover off, took the centre out, left hand thread bolts were pretty tight, had to use a bench clamp to hold the diff in place. Took spider gears out, put spool in, put diff back in the car which wasnt too hard tapping the shims using a plastic mallet as walesy_5.0 suggested. then gasket, filled her up with oil, had dinner then took it for a spin on a private burnout pad. I was stoked !!! Like someone told me before i installed it, once you've done this, you'll never go back to a single spinner! The cons of it is that it does vibrate a lil around small round-abouts, hard to park and specially REVERSE park. Pros: better take off(no wheel spin no-more), always predictable wat is going to happen and most off all its 2-wheels spinning at all times! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help guys !