Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spools

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Just my 2cents worth they are easy as piss to put in but I wouldent run 1 they are dangerous no matter how good of driver you are or that you are use to a spool dont help either they are no good for tyre wear they make ya car push like a dump truck and screw ya axels out all the time.

And Stealthy speedway cars have to run a locked diff for safety so if they break an axel they dont come to a sudden stop and cause a crash.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
so its safer for if a break an axil?? Sweet

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
you'll still be able to move your car if you break an axle with a minspool..

HOWEVER

unless you're making serious power, you won't break an axle with a normal streetable diff!

when you have a minispool, on the other hand, you can break axles quite easily if not driven right!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Clutchy said:
And Stealthy speedway cars have to run a locked diff for safety so if they break an axel they dont come to a sudden stop and cause a crash.
i honestly cannot see the benefit in running a spool just to prevent a "dead in the water" situation.....you will not get normal drive with one axle, espescially when you are making 600 horsepower with an alcohol fed 350 up front. that thing will go just as crazy either way. they would run a spool for simplicity and the fact that 80 percent of their racing is done sideways. spools are much more predictable in those situations.
Now, if you go putting a spool in your stock live axle commodore and you do happen to break an axle, what do you think will happen? that wheel will get awful crooked and you'll end up somewhere you didnt want to be ie. against a wall or tree.
this is why they developed floating rear ends, used in higher end race cars. this means the bearing setup is based on the axle housing, not the axle itself, thus, if you do break an axle, your wheel wont fall off and cause bad things to happen. but dont be fooled, even then, if you are racing and there is full drive going to the other wheel, it will shoot you off in a different direction, still causing bad things.
Because of the nature of IRS commodores, the bearing is mounted to the lower swing arm, with the drive shaft coming through the centre, if you do break a drive shaft in this situation, your wheel wont come off, but as previously mentioned, this is still a bad situation.
I feel that not enough people realise the seriousness of these situations, so i hope this post was of some use to the people who take the time to read it.
Cheers
maniac:thumbsup:

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
EcotecManiac said:
i honestly cannot see the benefit in running a spool just to prevent a "dead in the water" situation.....you will not get normal drive with one axle, espescially when you are making 600 horsepower with an alcohol fed 350 up front. that thing will go just as crazy either way. they would run a spool for simplicity and the fact that 80 percent of their racing is done sideways. spools are much more predictable in those situations.
Now, if you go putting a spool in your stock live axle commodore and you do happen to break an axle, what do you think will happen? that wheel will get awful crooked and you'll end up somewhere you didnt want to be ie. against a wall or tree.
this is why they developed floating rear ends, used in higher end race cars. this means the bearing setup is based on the axle housing, not the axle itself, thus, if you do break an axle, your wheel wont fall off and cause bad things to happen. but dont be fooled, even then, if you are racing and there is full drive going to the other wheel, it will shoot you off in a different direction, still causing bad things.
Because of the nature of IRS commodores, the bearing is mounted to the lower swing arm, with the drive shaft coming through the centre, if you do break a drive shaft in this situation, your wheel wont come off, but as previously mentioned, this is still a bad situation.
I feel that not enough people realise the seriousness of these situations, so i hope this post was of some use to the people who take the time to read it.
Cheers
maniac:thumbsup:

Yer I kno wot ya saying but im talking about modified production, production sedans and street stocks all cars under 400 hp and as for ya floater i know wot they are as we fitted one to me mates xf which also runs a 9inch with a spool in it and it happend to break an axel on the out side and spat the wheel off and fell over big time as ya street car could do to if ya drifting at the time as i have a speedway background and have had a locked diff in a few of my street car i know i was stupid to do so and wouldent do now thats for sure.as for them being predictable thats a load of crap.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
As for ya responce to dead in the water 9 times out of 10 you are turning left on a speedway track yes even down the straight (depending on class) so if ya do break an axel ya just loose speed not all drive but ya do find they will normally break either going into or in or going out of a turn so if it does break ya can just head straight off the track that is why they run them.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
VP_Luke said:
when you have a minispool, on the other hand, you can break axles quite easily if not driven right!

Dont matter how ya drive it it will screw the end off it end of story.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Clutchy said:
Yer I kno wot ya saying but im talking about modified production, production sedans and street stocks all cars under 400 hp and as for ya floater i know wot they are as we fitted one to me mates xf which also runs a 9inch with a spool in it and it happend to break an axel on the out side and spat the wheel off and fell over big time as ya street car could do..............as for them (spools) being predictable thats a load of crap.
so youre telling me that your mates xf spat a wheel off after you fitted the floater kit to it?
i used to run a mini spool in my commodore, before that, it was an open centre. the difference between the two was astounding. once you are used to a locked diff, you have equal drive to each wheel at all times, save for axle and suspension wind up. how can that be less predictable than something you have zero control over(open diff centre)?

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
EcotecManiac said:
so youre telling me that your mates xf spat a wheel off after you fitted the floater kit to it?
i used to run a mini spool in my commodore, before that, it was an open centre. the difference between the two was astounding. once you are used to a locked diff, you have equal drive to each wheel at all times, save for axle and suspension wind up. how can that be less predictable than something you have zero control over(open diff centre)?

Nar mate it spat the wheel off befor the floater went it thats the reason we put it in i kno i worded it wrong sorry.

So why did you use to run a spool and not still do.

And for your last comment about having no control over your car with a open center your are allways incontrol of your car as the car is under your control if it spins the wheels or not no matter wot conditions you are driving in so if ya are putting a spool in ya car thinking it will give you more control of ya car simple stop driving like a ******** and ya wont loose control of your car.
Easy and cheap in the long run and not hard to do is it

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Clutchy said:
Nar mate it spat the wheel off befor the floater went it thats the reason we put it in i kno i worded it wrong sorry.
So why did you use to run a spool and not still do.
And for your last comment about having no control over your car with a open center your are allways incontrol of your car as the car is under your control if it spins the wheels or not no matter wot conditions you are driving in so if ya are putting a spool in ya car thinking it will give you more control of ya car simple stop driving like a ******** and ya wont loose control of your car.
Easy and cheap in the long run and not hard to do is it
First off, I put the mini spool in my car simply because i had never had one before and was sick of peoples opinion on them(most didnt know what they were on about) and as with everything, the spool has it's pro's and con's which i am not going to list here as i couldnt be bothered doing it again.
Second, in regard to the comment on my driving like a ******** (whatever that may be) i dont appreciate that sort of thing, as i dont believe you should pass judgement on my driving. what gives you the right?
i have seen people driving open diff cars in the wet, take a corner and all the power transfers to the inside wheel, coincidentally, the one with the least weight on it due to weight transfer in the vehicle and the wheel simply spins and causes the car to come to a standstill for a second. long enough to get t-boned at an intersection i think. i realise that with a spool, you could easily spin out in the same situation, but with careful driving(apparently, i dont know what that is) you could maintain positive drive and get your car off of the intersection with no harm done.
So, there you have it. my opinion with no harsh remarks to anybody's ability, preference or the like.
who would have thought that such a post was possible? it is. start doing it.