Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mini Spools

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I kno wot ya saying EcotecManiac sorry you took it that way but i wasent saying YOU drive like a d!ck head i was just refering to anybody in general that complain that there car only spins 1 wheel insteed of the 2 cos they flooged the guts out of there lsd and she no work any more.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Yer I kno wot ya saying but im talking about modified production, production sedans and street stocks all cars under 400 hp and as for ya floater i know wot they are as we fitted one to me mates xf which also runs a 9inch with a spool in it and it happend to break an axel on the out side and spat the wheel off and fell over big time as ya street car could do to if ya drifting at the time as i have a speedway background and have had a locked diff in a few of my street car i know i was stupid to do so and wouldent do now thats for sure.as for them being predictable thats a load of crap.

it spat the wheel off because you didn't bolt everything up properly. My mates torana did the same thing, because he didn't fuly tighten a few bolts.

And this would be cancelled out with an IRS car, as the wheel is still boted on even with a snapped axle

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
it spat the wheel off because you didn't bolt everything up properly. My mates torana did the same thing, because he didn't fuly tighten a few bolts.

And this would be cancelled out with an IRS car, as the wheel is still boted on even with a snapped axle

Sound more like a piss weak fully floating axle set up to me... I used to own a Land Rover which had fully floating axles... I snapped the drivers rear and the wheel didn't fall off.

Fully floating axle assemblies shouldn't loose wheels if they snap an axle, they are designed to support the car without any axle installed.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
As for ya responce to dead in the water 9 times out of 10 you are turning left on a speedway track yes even down the straight (depending on class) so if ya do break an axel ya just loose speed not all drive but ya do find they will normally break either going into or in or going out of a turn so if it does break ya can just head straight off the track that is why they run them.

That isnt 100% true mate. A friend of mine was recently leading the state title race & had an axle brake on the exit of a turn. This shot the car up into the fence causing damage to the car. As ecotec maniac said any sudden transference of drive will unsettle the car. It just depends on which side goes as to the direction that the car will take.

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
axle removal

got a minispool the other day, so today got me mate to come around to give me a hand to put it on, put the car (VN wagon) on stands, took both wheels off, brake calipers, handbrake system and the bearing retaining bolts. Then drained diff fluid, took the back cover off, took the bearing retainers off and left it like so. Followed ur advice and used ur slide hammer idea to remove the axles. Tried and tried and tried to remove one, then the other and again and again, but got no where..... :mad: so after about 2hrs off stuffin around, we just put it back together, new gasket, new oil and back to the old single-spinner...
Was just wandering is there ANY other way of removing the axles that u could suggest, or any other ideas because i dont really wanna take it to a mechanic unless i really have to.
Thanks for ANY advice! :cool:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Haha getting the axles out can be a bitch sometimes. With the drum rear end, ya can just bolt the hub back on back to front, and use a hammer to hit it from the back and after a while it comes out. Also maybe a chain, and hook the end link up over one of ur stubs and put the nut back on, and put something on the other end of the chain so u can yank it pretty hard....but make sure ur car is really stable on the stands first haha.

I actually never thought of a slide hammer haha :p

Benji

Vote For Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VR - VS Stato V8
is it hard putting a mini spool in your self like can you **** up your diff and it will wine or any thing like that ???

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
nah its fairly easy the hardest part for me was putting the center back in withoud a diff spreader... plus i couldnt set the backlash myself

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon

Just read my post again and i dident word it rite sorry we put the floater on it after he rolled it when it spat the wheel off it was running a standard set up nine inch no floater axels and since we put the floater on its had no truble at all.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
That isnt 100% true mate. A friend of mine was recently leading the state title race & had an axle brake on the exit of a turn. This shot the car up into the fence causing damage to the car. As ecotec maniac said any sudden transference of drive will unsettle the car. It just depends on which side goes as to the direction that the car will take.

Yer mate you are right there I know what you are saying ya will get the odd one that spits you into the fence or turns you around but not very often but as they say thats racing.